Metro-East News

After months of delays, MLK Bridge is close to reopening, Illinois DOT says

After months of delays, the Martin Luther King Bridge to downtown St. Louis will reopen in August, officials with the Illinois Department of Transportation said Wednesday.

During a press conference on the Interstate 255 project switch over, Joel Cumby, a construction engineer for IDOT, announced that the bridge would be reopening in “early” August.

The bridge closed in August 2018 for extensive repairs to the bridge’s roadway and ramps. Last year’s Illinois budget allocated more than $36 million to demolish an old truss bridge on the ramp leading to the MLK Bridge.

Cumby said that IDOT is “sincerely” sorry for the delays in the project.

This story was originally published June 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM.

Related Stories from Belleville News-Democrat
Kavahn Mansouri
Belleville News-Democrat
Kavahn Mansouri is an Investigate Reporter for the NPR Midwest Newsroom based in St. Louis, Missouri, a journalism partner with the Belleville News-Democrat. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER