Metro-East News

Police still seeking ‘Johnny Blaze’ in weekend shootings

Nekemar K. “Johnny Blaze” Pearson, who still was being sought Friday in connection with two shootings, may be in the East St. Louis area with a girlfriend.

“We still want him,” said Madison County Sheriff’s Capt. Mike Dixon. “We are urging the public to call with any information on his whereabouts or the information on either shooting.”

Madison County Sheriff’s investigators are looking for Pearson in connection with shootings at a Granite City carnival and a Godfrey house party.

At about 11 p.m. on Friday in the 2200 block of Pontoon Road in Granite City, police say Pearson, 19, and Timothy L. Cook, 18, of 3803 Horn St. in Alton, confronted three men with shotguns just as a nearby carnival was closing for the night. One of the suspects began shooting without warning, police said.

Carnival attendants were leaving the area at the time of the shooting.

“Fortunately, the victims were not struck,” Dixon said on Wednesday.

Pearson and Cook left the area, but later turned up at a party at 306 St. Charles in Godfrey about midnight on Saturday. Deputies were called to the scene after they received a call for shots fired. While investigating, deputies learned that a 23-year-old man was being treated at St. Anthony’s Hospital in Alton for a gunshot wound to the arm. The victim later confirmed he had been shot at the party.

Police say the victim said Pearson threaten to kill him, then fired shots.

Granite City Police and Madison County Sheriff’s Department continued their search Friday for Pearson, who they believed was still in the area and armed and dangerous.

Anyone with information regarding Pearson or the shootings can call the Madison County Sheriff’s Department Investigative Division at 618-692-0871 or Dispatch at 618-692-4433 or the anonymous tipline at 618-296-3000.

Dixon said Pearson may have connections in St. Clair County and in the Alton area.

Contact reporter Beth Hundsdorfer at bhundsdorfer@bnd.com or 618-239-2570. Follow her on Twitter: @bhundsdorfer.

This story was originally published June 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM with the headline "Police still seeking ‘Johnny Blaze’ in weekend shootings."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER