Here’s why the Millstadt Fourth of July fireworks show has been canceled
The Millstadt fireworks show, which has been held most years since the 1970s, has been canceled for this holiday weekend, the show organizers announced Friday.
The show had been scheduled for the Fourth of July on Monday night.
Fireworks needed for the show were not going to be delivered until Monday morning. Butch Hettenhausen of the town’s firework’s committee said that delivery time did not give the volunteers enough time to set up the equipment needed to run the show.
Hettenhausen said the four licensed members of the committee needed to have the fireworks delivered on either Thursday or Friday in order to safely set up the trailers used to blast off the fireworks.
“We have to wire everything, we have to move the trailers in place,” he said.
Should shipment of the explosive arrived before the weekend?
“We were ready to go,” Hettenhausen said.
Hettenhausen said the committee members are disappointed they had to cancel the show.
The Belleville News-Democrat has compiled a list of area fireworks shows that you can read here.