Metro-East News

I-55 reopens again as high winds subside, police say

Illinois State Police closed Interstate 55 Tuesday afternoon in Montgomery County.
Illinois State Police closed Interstate 55 Tuesday afternoon in Montgomery County. Illinois State Police

The section of Interstate 55 south of Springfield where seven people were killed in crashes during a dust storm on Monday was reopened for the second time Tuesday after high winds subsided.

“Winds have calmed down and I-55 northbound and southbound between mileposts 63 and 82 are open. Use caution when driving in strong winds,” Illinois State Police said in a statement on Facebook.

The highway had been closed Tuesday afternoon after a dust storm warning had been issued.

The dust storm warning expired at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday but a blowing dust warning remains in effect until 6 p.m. Tuesday in Montgomery County where the crashes occurred Monday.

The dust storm warning said motorists had “less than a quarter mile visibility in blowing dust with strong wind in excess of 40 mph.”

“Blowing dust was causing severely reduced visibility in northern Montgomery County, affecting Interstate 55” at 2:33 p.m. Tuesday, the weather service said.

The Montgomery County Emergency Management Agency said Illinois State Police shut down the highway between Milepost 62 and Milepost 82.

Illinois State Police said there were no crashes Tuesday afternoon but troopers and the Illinois Department of Transportation closed the highway “out of an abundance of caution.” The agencies said the roadway would reopen when the high winds subsided.

Seven people died in a series of crashes near Milepost 76 Monday morning during a dust storm. Police initially said six persons died but the death toll was increased to seven on Tuesday.

The dust storm occurred when there were high winds Monday morning after farmers in the region had been plowing their fields and there had not been rain in recent weeks.

Authorities said 37 people were injured in the crashes and at least 72 vehicles were involved.

The highway was closed from Monday morning after the crashes until about 6 a.m. Tuesday when it was reopened.

This story was originally published May 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM.

Mike Koziatek
Belleville News-Democrat
Mike Koziatek is a former journalist for the Belleville News-Democrat
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER