Lab explosion injures SIUE student
A student at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville was injured in a small explosion Tuesday in a science lab.
According to university officials, a 23-year-old male student was working in a laboratory in the new science building on the main campus about 3 p.m. when a beaker containing tetrahydrofuran mixed with potassium exploded.
The student, whose identity was not released by officials, suffered cuts to both of his hands, along with chemical burns up to his elbows on both arms. He was treated by emergency medical personnel and transported to Anderson Hospital in Maryville.
The explosion caused a small fire, which was extinguished by the Edwardsville Fire Department.
University spokesman Doug McIlhagga said the damage to the laboratory was minimal. The building was evacuated, but was expected to reopen later Tuesday and will be available for Wednesday classes, he said.