A barbecue went bad Wednesday night, causing serious damage to a Fairview Heights family’s home.
According to Fairview Heights Fire Department Chief Brian Doyle, a resident of a home at 320 Joseph Drive started his gas grill at about 6:20 p.m. and then went across the street to talk to a neighbor.
“While they were talking, the neighbor saw smoke and told the resident, ‘Hey, I think your house is on fire,’” Doyle said.
The men ran back across the street to see the flames had spread from the grill to the home’s siding, and were reaching the eaves and roof.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
It took about 15 minutes to get the fire knocked down, Doyle said. But it took an hour to go through the attic and make sure all the hot spots were doused.
Damage to the home was estimated at $30,000-$40,000. No one was injured in the blaze. Four people live in the house, but Doyle said he the two children who reside there apparently were not inside when the house ignited.
The Red Cross was providing temporary assistance to the family, according to an agency spokesperson.
Doyle said people should use the fire as a reminder to be careful when they barbecue.
“This shows just how easy it is for something like this to happen,” Doyle said. “You have to make sure you keep your grill far enough away from the house.”