Metro-East News

Rain threatens Thanksgiving travel, Friday’s Santa parade in Belleville

The chance for rain increases throughout Thanksgiving Day, and travelers should take care if they are returning from visiting their families today. Also, rain could cause the cancellation of the Santa’s Parade Friday in Belleville.
The chance for rain increases throughout Thanksgiving Day, and travelers should take care if they are returning from visiting their families today. Also, rain could cause the cancellation of the Santa’s Parade Friday in Belleville. BND

Wet weather shouldn’t impact your drive to Thanksgiving dinner too much, but it may hamper your drive home, along with holiday shopping and the annual Santa parade on Friday in downtown Belleville.

“There will be scattered showers Thanksgiving morning,” National Weather Service meteorologist Thomas Spriggs said. “It’s not going to be too bad early in the day. But it’s going to become pretty steady once it gets going, and it will likely last well into Saturday.”

The chance for rain is nearly 100 percent during the parade hours Friday morning, according to the latest weather forecasts issued Thursday by the National Weather Service.

The Belleville Optimist Club, which organizes the Santa parade, issued a statement Wednesday saying the event will be canceled if steady rain is in the area.

“We are watching the weather very closely and hoping for a window of no rain,” according to the Optimist Club statement. “If it sprinkles a little, the parade will go on. If rain looks to be steady, then the parade may be called off.

“We will make the call Friday morning by 8:30 a.m.,” Optimist leaders said. “Santa’s House will open at 1 p.m. on Friday either way.”

If rain persists, an Optimist Club sing-along planned for Saturday evening also may be called off.

The National Weather Service has issued a flood watch from Thursday morning through Friday night with 2-4 inches of rain expected.

There is a 40 percent chance of rain during the day Thursday with a high of 63. Winds will blow from the south at up to 20 mph.

A 100 percent chance of rain is expected Thursday evening with heavy downpours at times. The low will be 50.

Heavy rain is expected again Friday with a high of 54 during the day. On Friday night, rain will continue with a low of 39.

“It will mostly be a problem in low-lying areas that are prone to flooding,” Spriggs said. “The issue is that the rain will be falling on ground that really hasn’t had a chance to recover from our last batch of heavy rain.”

Rain is likely to continue through the weekend with a 60 percent chance Saturday and a high of 47. On Sunday there is a 40 percent chance with a high of 49.

“If there is a silver lining, it’s that the temperature will be warm enough to keep any precipitation in liquid form,” Spriggs said.

The weather pattern is expected to continue into next week.

The metro-east will continue to have temperatures in the normal to above-normal range during the first half of the work week when the highs will be in the upper 40s to low 50s. Rain remains likely on Monday and Tuesday.

Click here for the detailed local forecast.

  Comments