Metro-East News

Fire guts part of Belleville duplex mobile home

No one was injured but half of a duplex mobile home was gutted by a fire on East Main Street in Belleville Wednesday evening.

Firefighters were dispatched to the mobile home on a lot behind a home on Grand Avenue near the intersection with East Main Street shortly after 6:30 p.m. They arrived to see smoke and fire pouring from the south side of the mobile home.

The fire was quickly extinguished, Assistant Fire Chief J. P. Penet said. He said the occupant of the east unit that burned was not home at the time of the fire. The occupant of the adjoining west unit made it out safely.

Shortly after firefighters connected a hose to a hydrant in front of Union United Methodist Church, water began gushing up from the ground. According to emergency radio transmissions, firefighters noted a drop in water pressure as they fought the fire. Penet said it’s possible that the pipe connecting the hydrant to the water main cracked, causing the water to gush from the ground.

The water was still flowing up from beneath the hydrant at 7:30 p.m., sending large amounts of water into the street and pushing mud onto the sidewalk and onto Main Street. Illinois American Water crews were on scene assessing the site before starting repair work.

It’s not clear how long those repairs will take or whether any residents could expect issues with their water.