Former Housing Authority security officer sentenced to probation after shooting
A former East St. Louis Housing Authority officer who police said was using cocaine when he shot a man in the back has been sentenced to probation.
Arthur Sargent, 48, of East St. Louis, pleaded guilty last week to aggravated discharge of a weapon and official misconduct.
Prosecutors asked for six years in prison. Sargent’s lawyer, Justin Kuehn, asked for probation.
On Wednesday, St. Clair County Circuit Judge Zina Cruse opted for probation for Sargent.
Sargent resigned from the housing authority security force after he was charged, Security Coordinator Cortez Slack said.
Sargent was charged in May after a shooting at the John DeSheilds Housing Complex in East St. Louis. Illinois State Police said three housing authority security guards who were investigating a string of burglaries went to the housing complex in response to a call. Sargent had used cocaine when he drove the housing authority car to the call, according to the charges.
When the guards arrived at the housing complex, they found Ormond L. Mosely, 20, of East St. Louis. Sargent fired a 9 mm pistol, striking Mosley in the back. Mosley recovered.
In court, Assistant State’s Attorney Dan Lewis presented a statement written by Mosely, but Mosely did not show up for the hearing.
Sargent will serve three years on probation. As part of a felony conviction, Sargent can no longer carry a firearm.
Beth Hundsdorfer: 618-239-2570, @bhundsdorfer
This story was originally published January 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM with the headline "Former Housing Authority security officer sentenced to probation after shooting."