Metro-East News

Space heater for cats blamed in Madison County house fire

The blaze began after children put a space heater outside to keep cats warm, authorities say.
The blaze began after children put a space heater outside to keep cats warm, authorities say.

An Alton family narrowly escaped a house fire early Friday.

According to firefighters, a space heater was to blame for the blaze. They said children in the house put the heater outside on the porch to keep the family’s cats warm overnight and it started the fire.

The fire was reported at about 3:30 a.m.

Five people, including three adults and two children, were living in the two-story home at 2114 Seminary, according to firefighters. They were able to make it out safely after discovering the fire.

The house suffered substantial damage. Scorch marks could be seen on its siding, and a window on its upper story was smashed out.

  Comments