Watch the most popular videos on BND.com this week:
▪ Family and friends started a memorial at 37th and State Streets in East St. Louis, the site of a hit-and-run that killed an 11-year-old boy. The driver of the car that struck him did not stop, and other cars drove around his body.
▪ The Major Case Squad announced that Jeremy N. Jackson, 33, of Belleville has been charged with the murder of Nathan Funkhouser, 34. The charges accuse Jackson of beating Funkhouser on the head with a baseball bat and stabbing him in the chest with a knife.
▪ Maddie Harnar has Down syndrome, but she doesn’t let it slow her down as the Belleville East senior participates in seven sports and five plays. The most recent play, “Beauty and the Beast,” in which she played a villager and a salt shaker, has her still smiling weeks afterward.
▪ Highland sophomore Rece Portell knocks down her first 3-pointer of the season to send the Bulldogs and North Lawndale Phoenix into the first overtime of their Class 3A state semifinal game with three seconds remaining.
In a game that will go down as one of the greatest in IHSA Girls State Basketball Tournament history, the Bulldogs finally ran out of miracles, comebacks and time. Highland lost the game in a second overtime, 59-57.
And here’s one video you may have missed:
▪ Blind musician Brandon Kozak, 29, specializes in Rat Pack-style covers, Elvis and children’s songs. He performs at the Edwardsville YMCA and fish fries.