The criteria for the award selections includes coordination with IDOT by airport management, facility safety record, maintenance and the promotion of seminars and aviation events, the agency said.
Reliever airports are designated by the Federal Aviation Administration to relieve congestion at commercial service airports and to help improve general aviation access in a community.
The Illinois aviation system is composed of more than 830 landing facilities.
“We are proud of our aviation community’s dedication to support the state’s economy by offering an invaluable public service,” said IDOT Secretary Randy Blankenhorn. “These airports set the bar for excellence. We are happy to partner with them to provide safe, efficient air travel throughout the state.”
IDOT also recognized:
▪ Chicago O’Hare International Airport as “Primary Airport of the Year,”
▪ Whiteside County Airport as a “General Aviation Airport of the Year,”
▪ Centralia Municipal Airport as a “General Aviation Airport of the Year,”
▪ Zelmer Memorial Airport in Palmyra as “Private – Open to the Public Airport of the Year,”
▪ Clay County Hospital in Flora as “Heliport of the Year,” and
▪ Airport Steak House at the Coles County Memorial Airport as the “Restaurant of the Year.”