A crew trying to repair a leaky water line is blamed for causing a house in Carlinville to explode Wednesday.
According to police reports, at about 10:45 a.m. workers struck a gas line in the 400 block of Northwest Street. The leaking fuel was sparked, causing the home at the address to be leveled.
Two people were injured in the blast, including one that was in the house at the time it exploded. The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.
Homes were evacuated in a two-block area around the explosion until the leak could be plugged and gas lingering in the air dissipated.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
The Illinois State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the case.
Carlinville is about 35 miles north of Edwardsville in Macoupin County.