Belleville police arrest one bank robbery suspect
Belleville Police Department said Tuesday that one suspect has been arrested in connection to a downtown bank robbery reported on Friday.
Police said on social media that the suspect is a 47-year-old male who has not yet been charged.
The suspect was reportedly arrested at a residence in the 300 block of South Charles Street in Belleville.
More information is expected to be released upon review of the case.
Regions Bank at 210 E. Washington St. in downtown Belleville was robbed Friday, prompting police to search for at least one suspect identified through surveillance video.
Belleville Det. Sgt. Mark Heffernan said last week that one suspect was identified as a black male, over 20-years-old, about 5 foot, 10 inches tall, 150 pounds, wearing a black shirt over a white T-shirt and black pants. Heffernan said the suspect was also wearing a white “Guinness” hat and carrying a blue drawstring-type bag. Police were notified of the incident at around 1:08 p.m.
“The suspect presented a note to the teller demanding money. The suspect inferred he had a gun, but did not display a weapon,” Heffernan said on Friday. “The teller complied with the suspect’s demand. The suspect fled southbound from the bank, then eastbound on Lincoln.”
The FBI is assisting in the case.
Kaitlyn Schwers
This story was originally published May 31, 2016 at 4:15 PM with the headline "Belleville police arrest one bank robbery suspect."