A fire reported at Touchette Regional Hospital in Centreville on Wednesday was an electrical surge, a statement from the facility said.
More than 30 patients were affected, but the hospital refrained from saying how. Some, however, didn’t even realize there was anything going on, said Melissa Sterling, the director of marketing and development.
St. Clair County EMA Director Herb Simmons said that Camp Jackson Fire Department was the first unit at the scene after responding to a fire alarm. There was smoke on the first floor, but it is unclear whether there had been a fire; calls to the department were unsuccessful. The smoke was later ventilated.
“All patients and employees in the hospital at the time of yesterday’s outage are safe and were appropriately cared for,” Touchette’s statement said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
As of early Thursday afternoon, the hospital was still “on diversion,” or diverting patients to other health-care facilities. Three generators were still in use.