Officials from the Illinois Department of Transportation are scheduled to host two open houses, including one in Granite City, to discuss the proposed I-270 bridge replacement over the Mississippi River.
IDOT is performing a preliminary engineering study to analyze the replacement of the bridge that connects Madison County with Missouri.
About 51,000 vehicle trips are made each day across the bridge, with 17 percent of these trips being truck traffic, according to IDOT estimates.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The existing bridge was constructed in 1966. Because the bridge is nearing the end of its design life, additional repairs have become necessary, according to the Regional Freightway District.
The two forums are set to provide people an opportunity to obtain information about the proposed replacement of the bridge as well as provide written comments about the possible project, IDOT said.
Staff Members from both IDOT and the Missouri Department of Transportation, are scheduled to attend.
- When: 4-7 p.m. Thursday, June 30.
- Where: Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC) – Granite City Campus, at 4950 Maryville Road, Granite City, or
- When: 4-7 p.m. Wednesday, July 13
- Where: Ann MacDonald Center, 11410 Old Halls Ferry Road, Florissant, Mo.
- For more information regarding the project, visit the study website at http://www.idot.illinois.gov/projects/i-270-over-the-mississippi-river