Metro-East News

Veterans to rally in support of VAC superintendent banned from county buildings

Brad Lavite is the Veterans Assistance Commission superintendent, but has been barred from the VAC office in the Madison County Administration Building since he suffered a mental breakdown last year attributed to post-traumatic stress disorder related to his combat service.
Brad Lavite is the Veterans Assistance Commission superintendent, but has been barred from the VAC office in the Madison County Administration Building since he suffered a mental breakdown last year attributed to post-traumatic stress disorder related to his combat service.

Metro-east veterans will rally Friday to support Bradley Lavite in his efforts to be reinstated in Madison County, while six veterans serving on the county board are supporting the decision to bar him from the building.

Lavite is the Veterans Assistance Commission superintendent, but has been barred from the VAC office in the Madison County Administration Building since he suffered a mental breakdown last year attributed to post-traumatic stress disorder related to his combat service. While his psychiatrist at the Veterans Administration has certified him as fit to return to work, county leaders have said they need more assurances before they will allow him to return to the building. The VAC has filed a lawsuit asking the court to order the county to let him return to work, and Lavite has recently filed a civil suit in federal court alleging violation of civil rights.

The VAC and veterans groups will hold a rally on Friday at 10 a.m. between the county Administration Building and the Madison County Courthouse. Veteran leaders and some local officials are expected to attend.

Meanwhile, the Veterans Caucus of the Madison County Board has issued a statement affirming the county’s position. Six county board members are veterans: Republicans Roger Alons, William Meyer and Brad Maxwell, and Democrats Michael “Doc” Holliday, Steve Brazier and Joe Semanisin. All six issued a statement that they believe the county is doing the right thing to affirm public safety.

The Lavite controversy has recently become politicized in the November elections, with incumbent Democratic Chairman Alan Dunstan affirming the county’s position. His opponent, Republican Treasurer Kurt Prenzler, has posted on social media sites calling for the county to change its policy and let Lavite return to work. Meanwhile, Republican Ron Williams — who is running for state’s attorney — has criticized the county’s position, calling it discrimination against veterans with PTSD. Democratic State’s Attorney Tom Gibbons said he has advised county leaders that without further assurances that Lavite is not a safety risk, taxpayers would be at risk for legal judgments if a harmful event occurred in the future.

Elizabeth Donald: 618-239-2507, @BNDedonald

This story was originally published August 26, 2016 at 12:54 AM with the headline "Veterans to rally in support of VAC superintendent banned from county buildings."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER