A power pole fell on a cable utility worker about 1 p.m. Monday on Freedom Drive in Belleville, landing on his legs and surrounding him with live wires.
A coworker tried to lift the pole off his pinned legs. A neighbor rushed in to help, but so did the neighbor’s pit bull. The pit bull bit the coworker.
The pinned man was freed and taken to the hospital, as was the bitten coworker.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The cable contractor had been trying to climb the pole at 152 Freedom Drive near Belleville when it snapped off near the base and landed on his legs. Live wires surrounded him.
Northwest Volunteer Fire Chief Dennis Oaks said the man and his coworkers were lucky. They could have been electrocuted.
“As you can see, the pole is hollow at the bottom,” Oaks said. “The kid who was climbing it couldn’t have weighed more than 120 or 130 pounds. A strong wind probably could have knocked it over.”
Oaks said he did not believe the young man’s injuries were serious.
Power was cut, but it did not appear to be affecting more than two houses. Ameren workers arrived about 1:40 p.m. to begin dealing with the pole.