Highland News Leader

Additional tombstones restored at Anderson, Dugger cemeteries

Thomas A. Hendricks’ (1861-1867) tombstone at Dugger Cemetery, 10901 Lake Road, in rural Highland, was been located, by Russ Marti. It was then cleaned and reset.
Thomas A. Hendricks’ (1861-1867) tombstone at Dugger Cemetery, 10901 Lake Road, in rural Highland, was been located, by Russ Marti. It was then cleaned and reset.

The Highland Home, 1600 Walnut St. in Highland, is having its first annual “Nativity Festival” on Sunday, Dec. 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. The home will have Nativity sets on display that day from residents, former residents and families.

There will also be a “sneak preview” of just one room of the new Highland Home Museum, as well as the south part of the first floor of the main Art Hall and some of the North Farm Room.

The museum still has room for your framed art work, and framed farm pictures from the Highland area.

Please check us out on Sunday, Dec. 4 from 1 to 4 p.m., or call me for an appointment at 654-5005 or (618) 303-0082.

Anderson Cemetery, on Saturday, Nov. 5, had three more tombstone restored, bringing the total to 70 tombstones now standing upright. In 2008, Anderson Cemetery had only one tombstone standing upright and 18 tombstones laying and standing around six large persimmon trees. The cemetery was in a pasture and “Old Mr. Bull” stood watch, as we started cutting the weeds and grass.

Today, we have the cemetery completely fenced in, and we keep the grass cut and trimmed. Thanks to all the great volunteer help and your donations.

The end of the year is approaching, and both the Anderson Cemetery and the Dugger Cemetery can use your donations and dues so that repairs can be made and expenses can be met.

Anderson has had two substantial donations recently, and thank-you letters are on the way. We were able to pay our bills. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Dugger Cemetery, on Saturday, Nov. 12, had three additional tombstones reset, plus the McAlilly base, with the broken lower portion of the tombstone still in its original base.

After these tombstones were cleaned, to my surprise, it was learned that Thomas A. Hendricks (1861-1867), age 6, was the son of Daniel and Nancy Reynolds. I may be related, as James A. Reynolds was my great-great-great-grandfather. Thomas’s tombstone photo is with todays column.

Also restored was the marker of Eliza A. Thorp, Mrs. John W. Dugger’s 18-year-old wife, who died Jan. 13, 1849. Yes, her tombstone is 167 years old. It had been buried 4 to 8 feet underground, but it was still readable, after cleaning.

Russ Marti found these tombstones by witching and probing.

Danny Gross and Tim Korte have been great helpers at both cemeteries, and Bill Curry, a John Riggs Sr., a descendant, keeps the Dugger Cemetery parking lot and roadway cut and trimmed.

Now, back to Pass in Review by Allan C. Huber, covering World War I European veterans.

“2nd Lt. Vincent E. Schoeck, 21, the son of Vincent Schoeck, enlisted June 9, 1917 and was sent to Camp Josephine, Johnston, Fla. He was assigned to the 7th Provisional Motor Truck Co. and later to the 443th. In August 1918, he was in France and attached to the 5th Division, transporting supplies to the troops. He was, at the writing of the book, awaiting discharge at Fort Sheridan, Ill.

“2nd Class Radio Electrician Waldo R. Schott, 18, the son of Albert H. Schott, enlisted in the U.S. Navy on May 1, 1918 and was sent to Newport, R.I., Naval Training Station, radio operations. He was transferred to USS Pennsylvania, then later to USS McCuster, a torpedo destroyer. Waldo was discharged Feb. 21, 1919.

“Pvt. Arnold A. Schwend, 23, the son of Mrs. Sophia Schwend, was called Feb. 23, 1918 and sent to Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., and assigned to Co. A, 335th Infantry, 84th Division. He arrived in France on Sept. 7, 1918 and saw action on the Lys-Scheidt front in Belgium, Oct. 31-Nov.11 and was discharged May 3, 1919.

“Sgt. Joseph F. Schwehr, 22, the son of Joseph Schwehr, was called Sept. 3, 1917 and sent to Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., and asssigned to Co. B, 333rd Infantry, 84th Division and arrived in France in September 1918. He was transferred to France’s 137th Guard and returned to the U.S. and discharged Sept. 6, 1919.

“Pvt. Peter A. Seitz, 27, the son of Peter Seitz, was called Oct. 3, 1917 and was sent to Camp Zachary Taylor and assigned to Co. A, 333rd Infantry, 84th Division. He transferred to Camp Pike, Ark., and then to France in July 1918, where he was transferred to 116th Field Signal Battalion and saw action in the Meuse-Argonne offensive from September until Nov. 11. He was discharged June 3, 1919.

“Pvt. Raymond O. Spellerberg, 20, the son of Otto Spellerberg, enlisted in the Medical Corps on Aug. 12, 1918 at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., and was transferred to Camp Crane, Allentown, Pa. He was in France on Sept. 12, 1918, with his hospital unit at Claremont-Ferrand, then Royal, Grenoble, Pruniers and Gievres. He was discharged July 30, 1919.

“Pvt. Richard Spellerberg, 22, the son of Adolph Spellerberg, was called Sept. 19, 1917 and was sent to Camp Zachary Taylor and assigned to Co. A, 333rd Infantry, 84th Division. He was transferred to Kelly Field, Texas, and into the Air Service as a mechanic on airplanes. He then went to Waco, Texas, and was assigned to 822nd Aero Repair Squadron. After additional instructions in England for two months, he was sent to Romorantin, France, repairing airplanes in the battle zone for 13 months. He was discharged June 13, 1919.

“Pvt. Henry J. Spengel, 23, the son of John Spengel, was called Feb. 23, 1918 and sent to Camo Zachary Taylor and assigned to Co. B, 335th Infantry, 84th Division, then to Camp Sherman, Ohio. He was in France by Sept. 19, 1918 and saw action at Lys-Scheldt, Belgium, October to Nov. 11. He was discharged April 29, 1919.

“Pvt. Fremont G. Streiff, 28, the son of Peter Streiff, was called May 25, 1918 and sent to Camp Shelby, Miss., and transferred to Battery A, 137th Field Artillery, 38th Division. He was in France by Oct. 23, he but did not get into action. He was discharged Jan. 13, 1919.”