The Highland Garden Club is seeking nomination for the first Yard of the Month in 2017.
The perennial contest, now in its 11th year, recognizes persons who show pride in maintaining a beautiful home landscape. One home will be designated as “Yard of the Month” for each summer month (June, July, August and September). Judging for 2017 will take place during the third week of the month, starting in May, and winners will be announced shortly thereafter. Deadline to enter nominations for the first award is May 15.
Judging eligibility and criteria includes:
▪ All residences, including houses, apartments, townhouses, villas and condominiums within Helvetia and Saline townships are eligible.
▪ Yard of the Month winners may win the contest only one time in a two-year period.
▪ Residents may nominate their own yard or any yard for Yard of the Month.
▪ Entries must be received by the 15th of the month. One entry per household will suffice for the season.
▪ Nominations may be submitted by calling the Chamber of Commerce, 654-3721, emailing Penny Korte at the chamber office at email@example.com, or contacting any Highland Garden Club Member with the name, address and phone number of the nominee.
Yards nominated for Yard of the Month should display the following criteria:
▪ Visual Attractiveness: The yard being judged must be visible from a public street, alley, path or sidewalk and must display general curb appeal.
▪ Creativity: Personal touches such as yard art, bird baths and feeders, etc. are encouraged.
▪ Originality: Unique while maintaining cohesiveness with the neighborhood.
▪ Beautification: Yard must improve the look of the home and overall neighborhood.
▪ Overall Maintenance: Well-maintained grass, trimmed hedges, flowerbeds, etc.
What you win
▪ A “Yard of the Month” sign from the city to be displayed in the winner’s yard for one month.
▪ A certificate signed by the mayor of Highland.
▪ $25 gift certificate from the Highland Chamber of Commerce
▪ Membership in the Highland Garden Club for the season.
▪ A photo of the winner in the Highland News Leader and The Pioneer.
Club to host plant sale
The Highland Garden Club will be having a plant sale at Glik Park on May 13 from 8 a.m. until noon. A large number of plants will be available, including many hostas and robust tomato plants. Funds from this sale help the Garden Club continue its many projects at the Gardens of Glik Park and Lila’s Garden.