Highland News Leader

Alhambra fire victims thankful to many

Damage for a house fire at 505 Main St. in Alhambra. The fire started around 7 p.m. on the northwest corner of the house and worked its way up and into the attic.
Damage for a house fire at 505 Main St. in Alhambra. The fire started around 7 p.m. on the northwest corner of the house and worked its way up and into the attic. mbraa@bnd.com

Sometimes even tragedy brings blessing, and in the moments and aftermath of our house fire on June 10, we are blessed that there was no loss of life or significant injury to the residents or our pets.

We wish to thank our neighbors, Virginia Barth and Jim Massey, and Natalie Sammons and Bill Griffith from the Alhambra Care Center, who were passing and noticed the fire, alerted residents in the house, called 911, helped evacuate pets and turned garden hoses on the fire.

An Alhambra man, Jim Massey, helped his neighbors with a house fire while he waits for the Alhambra Fire Department to get to the scene.

Thank you also to:

▪ the chief and crew of the Alhambra Fire Department, backed up by the Hamel Fire Department, for containing the fire with minimal collateral damage;

▪ our neighbor Becca, who housed our bird;

▪ Whitney Landmann from St. Gertrude’s and LuAnn Boda from Salem UCC, who were on the scene with prayers and support, and in coordination with village of Alhambra, arranged our first couple nights in a local motel until insurance could take over;

▪ Ameren, which came to the scene to cut utilities;

▪ Lisa Sauer from State Farm, who was on the scene the next morning for direction and coordination of services, along with ServPro to secure the property;

▪ Hawthorne Animal Hospital in Glen Carbon for treating our older dog for breathing issues;

▪ and all others for their ongoing prayers and support.

With gratitude,

Randy and Patti Eckstein family and friends

  Comments