This week, we will take a trip back to Highland to the fall of 1917. What follows was the news of the day for that time.
Oscar A. Hug took employment as salesman with C. Kinne & Co., the News Leader reported in the early part of October 1917
Also in October, Fred Linenfelser purchased the Ed Huber Sr. 10-acre plot, southeast of Highland, for $3,000.
Miss Elda Hug won the $600 grand player piano given away in a contest by the Highland Store Co.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Peter A. Seitz, proprietor of the Palace Theatre, which was just northeast of the Turner Hall, where the Weinheimer Building is now, was called into service in the World War. He left for Camp Taylor, Ky., and in his absence, F.C. Bellm and Miss Anna Seitz took care of the business.
P.M. Willhauk sold his bakers supplies to A.J. Hundsdorfer. Willhauk had conducted a bakery and confectionery for many years in the east part of Highland. (Do you know where Willhauk’s Bakery was located or when the Hundsdorfer Bakery was moved to the 900 block of 9th Street?)
Two Illinois state inspectors visited this community, looking into the manner in which milk was being produced. They recommended the “sanitary milk pail,” the wiping of a cow’s udder before milking and keeping of the barn free from dust during milking times. Five dairymen were assessed fines of $15 and costs on a charge of adding water to the milk they shipped. Four of the farmers pleaded guilty, and the fifth stood trial.
Oscar Isert, of near Pocahontas, purchased two registered Holstein milk cows from Seyfried & Co. for $375.
Moving on to news from November 1917, the Robert Mannhard family moved to Trenton, and the Henry Siever family moved from Greenville to Highland.
Henry Lory, proprietor of the Opera House, announced a price increase of 1 cent. Children’s admission would now be 6 cents and adult’s, 11 cents. The extra penny went to Uncle Sam. (The Opera House was later changed to Lory Theatre.)
The Holden Oil & Gas Drilling Co. were making a test on the Henry Schrumpf farm near Grantfork.
Armin Kurz and Willard Moser, two Highland young men purchased the ‘Staunton Star-Times of former Highlander C.T. Kurz and took charge of the paper at once.
Mrs. Fred Landolt of Alhambra advertised that she had lost a roll of “greenbacks” at Diamond Mineral Springs. Mrs. Henry Beinecke found the roll, consisting of $200 and returned the money to Mrs. Landolt
Miss Hannah Barth was employed as saleslady in the H.W. Pattberg & Co. Grocery Store at the northwest corner of 9th and Cypress streets.
Herman Neumann sold his residential property on east 12th Street to Edward Peter for $1,875.
A Scott Field aviator landed his airplane on the Fred Hanser wheat field and attracted a good-sized crowd to inspect the airplane. For many, it was the first opportunity to get a good look at an airplane.
William Hagnauer sold 85 acres of land near St. Morgan to George Hug.
The Helvetia Milk Condensing Co. gave 46 geese and 76 turkeys to their employees at Thanksgiving, an annual custom and was much appreciated.
Miss Bella Mahler’s pupils gave a piano recital and turned over the receipts of $28 to the Red Cross. (Miss Mahler was still teaching piano when Lorna and I returned to Highland in 1948.)
In December, the following young people wrote letters to Santa that week that were published in the News Leader Laura Raeber (Lorna’s aunt, the late Mrs. Laura (Walter) Maurer of Alhambra), Frances and Aaron Rutz, Elder Schaffner, Eugene Seifried, Helen and Rose Hencke, Lucille Kimling and Cecelia Leef.