Noon Wednesday, Nov. 21, is the deadline to appear in next week’s “Around Town” listing. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, nonprofit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: Highland News Leader Around Town, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Jennifer Green at 618-239-2643.
Thursday, Nov. 22:
▪ Gobble Hobble Fun Run — 7 a.m. Glik Park, 12525 Sportsman Road, Highland. Registration begins 6:30 a.m. Hosted by Highland Parks & Recreation. highlandil.gov
▪ Copper Dock’s Thanksgiving Dinner — 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Copper Dock Winery, 498 White Oak Lane, Pocahontas. Adults $18.99, kids ages 6-12 $9.99, kids 5 and under eat free. facebook.com/events/753153541693444
Friday, Nov. 23:
▪ 25th Annual Lighted Christmas Parade — 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Highland Chamber of Commerce, 907 Main St., Highland. See the beautiful lighted floats Chamber organizations and business create to portray the theme for 2018. 618-654-3721.
Monday, Nov. 26:
▪ Red Cross Blood Drive — 3 to 7 p.m. Korte Recreation Center, 1 Nagel Drive, Highland. 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org
Tuesday, Nov. 27:
▪ $2 movies at the Wildey: ‘Miracle on 34th Street’ — 7 p.m. Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Tickets only available the day of the show one hour before showtime. Cash or check only. (Charge/Debit cards accepted for concessions) All seats general admission.
▪ Free legal services for veterans — By appointment. Madison County Law Library, lower level of Madison County Courthouse, 155 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Thirty-minute appointments are available to veterans in need of legal assistance by contacting Lauren Jansen at email@example.com or 618-296-4472.
Wednesday, Nov. 28:
▪ SIUE ‘Arts & Issues’ Series: ‘The Other Mozart’ — 7:30 p.m. Dunham Hall Theater, Hairpin Drive, Edwardsville. Created, written and performed by Sylvia Milo, “The Other Mozart” is a revealing biography of the older sister of Amadeus Mozart. Tickets start at $35 and can be purchased at artsandissues.com, by phone at 866-698-4253 or at the Morris University Center Welcome Desk.
Friday, Nov. 30:
▪ Madison County Child Advocacy Center Annual Luncheon: Harvest of Hope (rescheduled) — 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The LeClaire Room, 600 Troy Road, Edwardsville. 618-296-5398 or firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ Annual Christmas Model Railroad Show — 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Fridays Nov. 30 through Dec. 28, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays in December & 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sundays in December. McGinley Chrysler Dealership, 7 Shamrock Blvd., Highland. Free and open to the public. Donations welcome.
Sunday, Dec. 2:
▪ Latzer Library’s Annual Holiday Dinner — 5:30 p.m. Louis Latzer Memorial Public Library, 1001 Ninth St., Highland. Wine reception 5:30 p.m. Dinner, catered by Popeye’s Chop House, 6:30 p.m. Post dinner entertainment will follow dinner at First Congregational Church directly behind the library. Performance by Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra, led by Conductor Robert Hart Baker. Tickets are $50. For information, call 618-654-5066.
Monday, Dec. 3:
▪ Kaskaskia College ‘Internet and Email’ class — 5 to 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3 & 10. Kaskaskia College, 27210 College Road, Centralia. Registration number: COED 7025 MC01E. Cost: $25. Space is limited. Register by calling 618-545-3255.
Tuesday, Dec. 4:
▪ Madison County Retired Teachers Unit 2 Meeting — 11 a.m. The LeClaire Room, N.O. Nelson Campus, 600 Troy Road, Edwardsville. Registration begins 10:30 a.m. Those interested in becoming a part of the organization are encouraged to attend. Program: Musical performance by the 60’s Chicks. Cost of lunch catered by Bella Milano is $16, payable at registration. Reservations should be made by Nov. 27. For reservations or more information, 618-656-8655.
Saturday, Dec. 8:
▪ Kaskaskia College Winter Gala: ‘Play Among the Stars’ — 5:30 to 11 p.m. Hidden Lake Winery, 10580 Wellen Road, Aviston. A night to remember filled with entertainment, fantastic food and good company. Silent auction, oral auction, 50/50 raffle. Dinner will include roast beef with port mushroom sauce, herb roasted chicken breast, oven roasted red potatoes, mixed vegetables, salad, dinner rolls. Tickets: $75 per person or $575 for a table of eight. Tickets can be purchased online at tix5.centerstageticketing.com/sites/kaskaskia, or call 618-545-3256, 618-545-3069 or 618-545-3223 for more information.