Cited as a leader in health care environmentally preferable practices, HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital (Highland) was awarded the 2015 “Greenhealth Partner for Change” Award by Practice Greenhealth, the nation’s leading health care community that empowers its members to increase their efficiencies and environmental stewardship while improving patient safety and care through tools, best practices and knowledge.
The award is one of the organization’s Environmental Excellence Awards given each year to honor outstanding environmental achievements in the health care sector.
The Greenhealth Partner for Change Award recognizes health care facilities that continuously improve and expand upon their mercury elimination, waste reduction, recycling and source reduction programs. At a minimum, facilities applying for this Award must be recycling 15 percent of their total waste, have reduced regulated medical waste, are well along the way to mercury elimination, and have developed other successful pollution prevention programs in many different areas.
This is the sixth consecutive year that St. Joseph’s Hospital has been recognized for its environmental stewardship initiatives by the Practice Greenhealth organization.
“As a Practice Greenhealth Partner for Change Award winner, St. Joseph’s Hospital is committed to improving the health of our patients, colleagues, and community as a whole,” said Peggy Sebastian, president and CEO of St. Joseph’s Hospital. “We take pride in our sustainability efforts to lessen our impact on the environment and look forward to working with Practice Greenhealth to continue this work across the country.”
The Practice Greenhealth Environmental Excellence Awards were presented May 14 in Portland, Oregon at the CleanMed Conference & Exhibition, THE premier national environmental conference for leaders in health care sustainability.
Practice Greenhealth is the nation’s leading health care community that empowers its members to increase their efficiencies and environmental stewardship while improving patient safety and care through tools, best practices and knowledge. To learn more about Practice Greenhealth visit www.practicegreenhealth.org.
Examples of St. Joseph’s Hospital’s sustainability efforts
▪ Electronics recycling efforts conducted by hospital Information Technology Department colleagues have totaled more than 750 pounds of equipment being recycled this year
▪ Continuously maintaining a mercury-free environment
▪ Partnering with Highland Recycling & Shredding on a weekly basis to “securely” recycle paper, recycling more than 20,280 gallons of paper annually
▪ Collaborative efforts with Stericycle Sustainability to collect used, disposable medical devices and reprocess FDA-approved instruments for resale; and the collection, processing and disposal of hazardous chemicals
▪ Recycling more than 52,360 pounds of cardboard, aluminum cans and plastics bottles annually