Charles Paul Chipron, the oldest son of Jean Godefroi Chipron and Eugenia Thierry Chipron, came with his parents to St. Louis from Paris in 1847.
The family came to Highland in 1849 and purchased a farm in Section 17 of Helvetia Township, just southeast of Alois Latzer’s place, now called the Latzer Homestead.
By 1860, Charles Paul, who went by Paul, was running the farm and manifested a genius for inventions. He invented an improvement on self-reapers, which he disposed of to the D.M. Osborn & Co., and was still being used in 1882.
He then invented a corn sheller and received his patent on Feb. 11, 1868.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
In 1867, he had commenced operating in agriculture machinery in Highland. In 1868, he erected a one-story machine shop at 1009 Cherry, now called Washington Street.
Paul Chipron built a large, two-story, brick home; today it’s 819 9th St. This home became their son Emile’s home; then their granddaughter, Jennie Chipron (Mrs. Carl) Huege. (Carl worked for C. Kinne & Co. and was an early Highland historian who has many pictures and stories at the Louis Latzer Memorial Public Library.)
The building then became Miles Nursing Home for many years, but it had to close when Illinois would no longer allow these old buildings to continue without a large elevator and other safety features.
Later, it became the Frey Properties office and is now Peacock Bakery & Antiques.
George Roth was the son of Sebastian Roth. The Sebastian Roth family lived at 803 9th St. and was a neighbor of John Buchter, the lumber dealer, at the northwest corner of Laurel and Ninth. (After many changes, it became the home and office of Minnie Fagan, an early chiropractor. The old building was torn down, and Dr. Robert Rosenthal Sr. built his Rosenthal Optometric brick building at 823 9th St. Robert Sr. was followed by Robert Jr., and today, the granddaughter, Dr. Kimberly Rosenthal Tinge.)
George Roth’s father, Sebastian, died in 1850, when George was only 4 or 5. George was raised by John Buchter. George married Emma Kuhnen in 1871, and he became a partner in Kuhnen & Roth Hardware Store on Broadway, later known as Kuhnen & Siegrist Hardware.)Roth sold his share of the hardware store to Siegrist.
“In 1874, George Roth purchase the Chipron Implement store on Cherry, now 1009 Washington. George added hardware, and it became Roth Hardware & Implements. George replaced the one-story Chipron building with a two-story, frame building (which is still standing today.)
“In 1885, he became interested in management of the Helvetia Milk Condensing Co. Later, he became a vice president of the milk company and sold his store in 1889 to his longtime employee, Charles Hagnauer, and also to Louis Knoebel, who had been a blacksmith. They changed the name to Hagnauer & Knoebel Hardware & Implements.
“Hagnauer & Knoebel Hardware Co. incorporated in 1907 and had many changes in ownership during the next 100 years. (See my earlier columns for these details.)
“Dick and Dottie Tompkins purchased the business in 1991 and discontinued business in 1998. The building was sold at public auction and purchased by Peggy Bellm for her Helvetia Trading Co. and Country Store, Rosemary’s Fabrics & Quilts, Jennie Heuberger’s Floral, Gifts & Paintings, with Lynn Rehberger’s Antiques in the south building. (Dan Jakel purchased this brick, one-story building, and this is where he opened his Yogie’s restaurant. Dan still owns the building, which later became CharlieDave’s BBQ and is today.)
“Karen Schmidt Jakel purchased the two-story Haganauer & Knoebel building and added her Swiss Gift Shop. In April 2006, Peggy Daum Jacobs and Marilyn Tebbe purchased the building. Marilyn Tebbe has the Wedding Belle and Penny Jacobs has Something Special by Penny, and her daughter, Ann Lohman, has the Swiss Gift Shop.”
(Information from Dick Tompkins, Penny Jacobs, Brief History of the City of Highland, published in 1893, the sesquicentennial book, and my previous columns.)
Roland Harris’ 90th birthday open house has been moved to the Highland Country Club. It will still from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sunday, June 28. Hope to see you there