Shimkus sending staff member to Marine Aug. 4
A member of Congressman John Shimkus’ staff will at the Marine Village Hall, 320 North Vernon St., on Tuesday, Aug. 4 from 9:30 to 11 a.m.
“These office hours allow you to meet face to face with my staff instead of over the telephone or having to drive to Maryville,” Shimkus explained. “The staff person will be able to handle any issue you may have regarding my office or the federal government.”
Those who cannot attend in person may contact Shimkus’ local office at 15 Professional Park Drive in Maryville by phone at (618) 288-7190.
More information on services offered by the Congressman’s office is also available on his website, shimkus.house.gov. You may sign up for a weekly email newsletter, periodic veterans and grant notice email newsletters, or send a message to the Congressman on the website. Shimkus also maintains Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube (@RepShimkus) accounts, where regular updates are posted.
Constituents requiring special accommodations should call at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled office hours.
Marine Library to hold Chalk-Art-in-the-Park event
The Marine Library is holding a Chalk-Art-in-the-Park event for the children ages 5 to 18 at the Marine Village Park from 1 to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9. The Chalk-Art-in-the-Park event had previously been scheduled for early June but had to be postponed.
Contest rules for Chalk Art in the Park are as follows:
▪ Sign up for the event at the Library or by calling 887-4634 or (618) 520-6551 before Aug. 3. The library is open on Tuesday evenings from 6 to 7:30 p.m. or Saturday mornings 10 to 11:30 a.m.
▪ Arrive at the Village Park at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 9, ready to work on a panel.
▪ Rain date will be Aug. 16.
▪ Art must be family friendly and based on a favorite story book character.
▪ No stenciling.
▪ Must use only chalk that is provided. Only washable, solid, non-toxic chalk pastels can be used.
▪ Participants will compete in one of four categories: Ages: 5-7, 8-11, 12-13, and high school
▪ Each participant will receive one 3-by-3-foot section of concrete as your art space. Note: the section could have a crack or other imperfections.
▪ One first-place winner will be chosen per group.
▪ Judging will occur at 2 p.m.
▪ Craft project after completion of drawing.
▪ Provide T-shirt size when signing up.
▪ Participants will be treated to refreshments during the judging.
▪ Participants must be a resident of Marine, Marine Township, or who have a library card.
St. Jacob UCC Events
St. Jacob United Church of Christ is looking for new sponsors for the Youth Group and volunteers willing to become Sunday school teachers. Call Patti at 644-9410 or Pastor Gary at 644-5703 as soon as possible.
On Sunday, Aug. 2. immediately following worship , there will be an audio-visual meeting in Heritage Hall.
On Tuesday, Aug, 4 there will be an ELF meeting at 7:30 p.m., and AA will meet on Wednesday, Aug. 5 at 8 p.m.
On Wednesday, Aug. 12, there will be a council meeting at 7:15 p.m.; Sunday school teachers meeting at 7:30 p.m.; and an AA meeting at 8 p.m.
The pre-K Sunday school class is looking for donations of glue sticks, construction paper and Crayola (only) brand washable markers. Please bring to church and put on the round table in Heritage Hall by Sept. 1.
The Youth Group (ages Confirmation to 18) will begin meeting after Labor Day.
The Evening Ladies Fellowship (ELF) will host a Luncheon at Josephines in Alton at 11:15 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1. All ladies of the church are welcome.
A new list of nursery volunteers will be put together shortly. Anyone who would be willing to take a Sunday every two or three months, please talk to Rae Lynne Meyer as soon as possible.
St. Jacob Events
Every Thursday: Trash collection day
Every other Thursday: Recycling collection day
Every Friday: Yard waste pickup day
First and third Thursdays each month: Village Board meeting at 7 p.m. at Activity Center
To submit an item to the St. Jacob & Marine News, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 654-2366, ext. 21.