The Highland High School School Marching Bulldogs band finished off its competitive season on a high note last Saturday at the Illinois Marching Band Championships at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The HHS Marching Bulldogs earned second place in Class 3A and third place overall out of 16 competing bands, narrowly missing second place overall by 0.4 of a point.
“This has been a fantastic marching season,” HHS Marching Bulldogs Band Director Christopher Wilson said. “We have made some important strides in areas that put us in a situation to compete with some upper level bands. This year’s show is unlike any other show Highland has ever performed, utilizing a story line, props, guard and drum major costumes, and electronics, makes for a complicated and technical show.”
Wilson said his band really stepped up their game in overcoming some of the obstacles that have held them back.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
“We are extremely proud of the band’s placement at the University of Illinois with our Second Place Award in Class 3A to a powerhouse Mahomet-Seymour Band. Eventually, scoring third out of 16 bands. Newton outscored us overall by 0.4 of a point. This is the highest placement by this band in their history of attending Illinois Marching Band Championships. Overall, Mr. (John) Case and I are extremely proud of this band and we look forward to a promising and successful future.”
2015 Season Highlights
Leading up to the Illinois Marching Band Championships at U of I, the HHS Marching Bulldogs posted several noteworthy and impressive finishes this season:
▪ First place in Class 4A, Best Visual and tied for fifth place overall out of 26 bands on Oct. 24 at the Ste. Genevieve Marching Festival
▪ Second place in the Gold Division, Best Guard in Prelims and fourth place in the Finals out of 14 bands on Oct. 17 at the Seckman High School Jaguar Pride Invitational
▪ Second place in Class 3A Field and Best Music on Oct. 10 at the Collinsville High School Gateway Marching Classic
▪ First place in Class 3A, Best Music and Best Visual on Sept. 12 at the Belleville East High School Lancer Invitational
▪ Third place in Class 2A Field on Sept. 12 at the O’Fallon High School Metro East Marching Classic