Editor’s note: The following incidents were listed among the official reports of local law enforcement agencies and court clerks. Readers are reminded that an arrest or charge does not constitute a finding of guilt. Only a court of law can make that determination.
68-year-old Maryville man killed in Glen Carbon crash
Police say the man who was killed Wednesday evening in Glen Carbon was driving aggressively and may have been drag racing, according to other drivers.
Madison County Coroner Stephen Nonn announced last Thursday the man killed was Steven R. Atteberry, 68, of Maryville.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
According to Illinois State Police reports, Atteberry was trying to take the exit ramp from westbound Interstate 270 onto Illinois 157 around 4:40 p.m. when he lost control and skidded off the roadway.
“Witnesses said he was attempting to pass other vehicles on the ramp,” State Police spokesman Calvin Dye Jr. said. “Witnesses also said it’s possible he may have been drag racing prior to the crash.”
Atteberry’s car rolled over and hit a tree, and he died at the scene. There was no one else in the car. Nonn said Atteberry was wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash and said the airbags in Atteberry’s car deployed.
Dye said the crash is under investigation by an accident reconstruction team.
HPD felony warrant arrests
▪ Lisa M. Milton, 44, of Westfield, Ind., was arrested on Nov. 6 by Highland police on a felony fugitive from justice warrant from St. Louis County, Mo., stemming from a forgery charge.
HPD additionally charge her with retail theft for allegedly taking two mango drinks, a sub sandwich, 7-ounce sausage, a barbecue wrap and mayonnaise from Walmart.
In the same incident, Troy A. Leffel, 26, of Bloomington, Ind., was arrested on a felony fugitive from justice warrant from Bloomington, Ind., stemming from a charge of dealing in narcotic drugs. HPD also charged him with retail theft for taking the same items as Milton.
▪ Talea D. White, 44, of Highland was arrested on Nov. 7 on a warrant for unlawful possession of less than 5 grams of methamphetamine.
HPD misdemeanor warrant arrests
▪ Matthew K. Fox, 38, of Highland was arrested on Nov. 8 on an HPD warrant for failure to appear in court on a trespassing charge. HPD additionally charged him with possession of drug paraphernalia.
HPD misdemeanor citations, tickets
▪ A juvenile, 13, of Highland was charged with domestic battery for allegedly biting her mother.
▪ Emil J. Garcia, 18, of Highland was charged with littering for allegedly throwing a chewing tobacco can from his vehicle.
▪ No tickets issued.
▪ Jody M. Norvell, 30, of Alhambra was charged with operation of an uninsured motor vehicle and having a suspended vehicle registration.
▪ No tickets issued.
▪ Katelyn M. Medina, 20, of Highland was charged with unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor. In the same incident, a juvenile, 17, of 11492 was charged with unlawful consumption of alcohol by a minor.