The Center for Cardiac Rehab & Wellness at HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital in Highland hosted its fifth annual Poker Heart Walk at the Korte Recreation Center (KRC) on Friday, Feb. 12. The event is presented each year to the community to raise awareness about heart disease.
The annual event offers activities for adults and children, as well as information about heart disease, managing the disease, and how to lower risks for developing the disease.
This year’s event included presentations by Dr. Pavan Gupta of Prairie Cardiovascular Consultants, Cindy Hartman, a registered dietitian at St. Joseph’s Highland, and St. Joseph’s Cardiac Rehab patients Jeff Summers and Steve Gnaedinger, who talked about the success they have had adopting healthy lifestyles to reverse their own heart disease. Medical screenings were conducted throughout the evening and kids ages 12 and under participated in an inflatable obstacle course.
“We appreciate the support of the community as we promote awareness of a largely preventable disease,” said Patricia Noe, program coordinator for the Center for Cardiac Rehab & Wellness at St. Joseph’s. “Thank you to Mayor Michaelis for proclaiming February as heart awareness month in Highland, the Korte Rec Center for their partnership, and Compustitch for donating their services.”
Several prizes and giveaways were awarded throughout the evening. This year’s winners are:
▪ Grand Prize (Fit Bit HR), Laurie Frank;
▪ 12 and Under Grand Prize (bicycle), Cecelia Jansen;
▪ Three-month KRC pass, John Hudspeth and Kimberly Moore;
▪ 10-visit KRC pass, Eleanor Gregory;
▪ Fleece Heart 2 Heart shirt, Melissa Chapman;
▪ Cooling towel and KRC pass, Peggy Korte;
▪ Heart 2 Heart sweatshirt, Keith Frank;
▪ Heart 2 Heart hand towel, pedometer and KRC Pass, Pat Evans;
▪ Heart 2 Heart blanket and KRC pass, Billy Blackmon;
▪ Blender cup and KRC pass, Clay Wiender;
▪ Water bottle and KRC pass, Jeff Summers;
▪ Fleece Heart 2 Heart shirt and KRC pass, Adam Richter;
▪ Fruit basket and KRC pass, Margie Capelle;
▪ Heart 2 Heart blanket and KRC pass, Barb Bellm;
▪ Heart 2 Heart backpack and KRC pass, Gail Rosenkrauz;
▪ Heart 2 Heart hand towel, pedometer and KRC pass, Lisa Henss.