The Good Old Days of 1916, it told about the Kannally-Wick Shoe Co. starting at Cypress and 6th Stree. Then, the 1926 Good Old Days told about the Kannally-Wick Shoe Co. closing its factory at Cypress & 6th Street ,and it was understood it would probably relocate to Norfolk, Va. Wicks Pipe Organ factory resumed at that location (basically for storage and sometimes equipment made but not ready to ship.)
Also in 1916, the grain elevator at Pierron burned to the ground. (It was rebuilt.)
The first summer band concert of the season was held in Highland, on the southwest corner of the Square.
“Charles Frech, in 1916, sold his jewelry business at 1008 Laurel St. to Joseph H. Seitz.” (See the Sesquicentennial book, Page 347, and The Frey Book, donated to the Highland Home Museum by Mark Frey of Louisville, Ky.)
“Joseph Seitz married Ida Frey, the daughter of Peter Frey. She was born in 1886. Joseph was a pptometrist and jeweler and founded Seitz Jewelry Store on May 20, 1916. The jewelry store operated at that location for five years, until July 1, 1921, when Joseph and Ida Seitz purchased the jewelry inventory and real estate of L.J. & Wick & Brothers, from the L.J. Wick estate. They were located at 923 Main St.” (This building of L.J. Wick and his brothers was where the three Wick brothers built their first pipe organ for St. Paul Catholic Church in the late 1890s.)
Joseph Seitz, the optometrist, built an addition on the west side of his jewelry store for his office. After his death, his widow, Ida Frey Seitz, ran the jewelry store with the help of her son, Leonard Seitz. This office addition was used by Mrs. Emily (Herbert) Abendroth for her children’s store. After Emily retired, Leonard opened an office supply in this west addition. Leonard and his wife, Helen, in May 1986, celebrated the 70th anniversary of the Seitz Jewelry Store.
The following information is from Laurie Manwaring: “Laurie started her Giving Tree Store at 818 Main St. in 1984. Needing more space, she purchased the Seitz Jewelry Store building in June 1986 and opened The Giving Tree at 923 Main St. and is still at that location, using the office addition as her boutique.”
Seitz Jewelry Store’s first location was at 1008 Laurel St., before the Seitzes purchased the Wick Jewelry Store at 923 Main St. This 1008 Laurel Street had many different occupants and owners. Victor Munie purchased the Old Reliable Studio of Maechtlin. Munie, in 1922, sold to Alfred Voegele. Alfred had his Voegele Studio on the second floor at 1008 Laurel. Alfred remained there until he built his new Voegele Photography at 1012 Laurel. (Today, Voegele Photography of Mike Voegele and his son, Shaun, is 1010 Laurel, along with Compustitch Embroidery.)
Mrs. Rose Frank and Serena Florin, about 1916, opened a gift shop and also had some jewelry on the first floor of 1008 Laurel.
Then Robert “Red” Ziegler of Trenton purchased the gift shop of Mrs. Rose Frank in April of 1938. Red operated the Ziegler Jewelry Store at 1008 Laurel, then at 1010 Laurel, followed by his son, Jack Ziegler. Jack later moved the jewelry store to Main and Washington, and today that building is offices and It’s Party Time. The 1008 Laurel building later became Niala Keilbach’s beauty shop and today is Tony Miles’ Bulldog Barber Shop. (Thanks, Joan Voegele Leopold for your information.)
Other news from Highland in 1916 included that “Fred Krenzer, a long-time employee, resigned his position as secretary-treasurer of the Stocker Gravel and Construction Co.
“And a number of Highland businessmen attended the ‘Egyptian Hustlers’ convention at Cairo, Ill., with the intention of getting the organization that prints the Egyptian Hustlers magazine to hold its meeting in Highland in 1917.” (Quotes are Good Old Days of the Highland News Leader.)