This month marks the 90th anniversary of the dedication of the Community Hall in O’Fallon Community Park, known today as the Katy Cavins Center.
It was built during the spring and summer of 1926 by the O’Fallon Homecoming Association with much of the labor being donated.
The original dedication date was set for Oct. 2 but “incessant rain” and muddy park grounds forced a postponement to Oct. 23.
It rained again that day, a Saturday, but this time they forged ahead with the 5 p.m. program with a “fair crowd.”
There was a band concert, fish fry and dancing until midnight in the new hall to music by the Golden Rod Serenaders.
Back then, Community Park was owned by the Homecoming Association.
It was given, debt free, to the City of O’Fallon in 1946.
75 years ago, Oct. 23, 1941.
Pipe and other material was received by the city for the improvement of the water distribution system, work on which is expected to begin by the later part of this week.
The improvement will be the installation of 1500 feet of additional six-inch pipe connecting at the line on Hickory street, at a point east of the Quality Dairy and extending north to South Cherry Street, connecting with existing lines on Oak and Cherry, Third and Second streets.
The new six-inch extension is being made to provide sufficient pressure for the Independent Engineering Company on South Cherry and Second streets where an automatic sprinkling system for fire protection purposes is to be installed.
This was to be the first fire sprinkler system in O’Fallon.
50 years ago, Oct. 20, 1966.
Mr. and Mrs. James Adams are opening a new dance school in O’Fallon, the Adams School of Dance. Classes are being formed in ballet, tap, modern jazz and ballroom, and will be taught at Nancie’s Charm School. The school is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year, as well.