Cambridge House events
Cambridge House, 844 Cambridge Blvd., O’Fallon, will host the following events:
▪ Thursday, May 14—9 a.m.-2 p.m. Michelle Bess, VSO from the Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs, will be here to help all veterans and spouses of veterans process veteran benefits or advise all of the benefits that are available. This is a free service Bess will provide and people do not have to live at Cambridge House to get this service. It is necessary to schedule a time with Bess by calling Cambridge House at 624-9900 to set up the time;
▪ Friday, May 22— 2:30 p.m. Cambridge House will have its own Mary Chamberlin teach “Tia Chi” exercise. Once the exercise is over then she will call bingo and refreshments will be provided. This is a slow motion exercise (either sitting in a chair or standing) designed to help with arthritis and other health issues. Come join them and bring family and friends.
For more info on any of these events, call Cambridge House at 624-9900.
Senior committee dinner, entertainment
O’Fallon Township Senior Committee dinner and entertainment will take place at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, May 14, at 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. Cost is $2; tickets are available at the Township office. Last day to purchase tickets is Friday, May 8. This is for O’Fallon residents only.
Metro East Pachyderm Club will have as its guest speaker this week a representative from Toastmasters International, whose goal is to improve communication and public speaking skills. The meeting begins at noon Friday, May 15, at Amore Ristorante, 1050 Eastgate Drive, O’Fallon. The meeting is free and open to the public. Optional buffet/ordering from the menu begins at 11:30 a.m. Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization with the goal of helping members improve communication, public speaking and leadership. The Metro East Pachyderm Club meets at noon each Friday except for the fourth week of the month, when meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. Thursday night at Amore Ristorante.
St. Nicholas Church in O’Fallon will hold the 1st NickFest event Friday, May 15, and Saturday, May 16 on the church parking lot, 625 St. Nicholas Drive. Times for Friday are noon-10 p.m. On Saturday, a 5K Run/Walk will begin at 8 a.m. before rides, food, games and entertainment open—10 a.m.-10 p.m. The main stage entertainment features two headliner bands—The Pedestrians at 7 p.m. Friday and Whiskey Dixon at 6 p.m. Saturday. Admission to the event is free. More for info, visit the St. Nicholas O’Fallon Facebook page or www.stnicholasofallon.org or call 632-1797.
CrossFit fundraiser for Mighty Marek
CrossFit Voyage will hold a fundraiser for a case of infantile spasms at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 16, at CrossFit Voyage, 102R W. State St., O’Fallon, Ill.—location is subject to change due to registration numbers. People can register at https//:mightymarek.eventbrite.com. The event is for Marek Harres, affectionately known as Mighty Marek, who was diagnosed with infantile spasms in January 2015. Infantile spasms are seizures seen in infancy and childhood characterized by spasms and developmental regression. Mighty Marek stopped meeting normal developmental milestones at 4 months old and stopped progressing developmentally at approximately 5 months. Registration by Thursday, April 30, will guarantee a “Mighty Marek” shirt in the requested size.
Moose washers tournament
A Blind draw washers tournament will start at noon Saturday, May 16, at O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn St. O’Fallon Moose Lodge 2608 is sponsoring this event. $10 per person; payouts to 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. For questions, contact Billy Thompson at (618) 593-7647.
Furniture for Humanity
A silent auction benefiting the Lewis & Clark O’Fallon Chapter of Habitat for Humanity will be from 4-8 p.m. Saturday, May 16, at the O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn St. People will have the opportunity to bid for various furniture and decorative items for their home donated by local businesses. The OTHS Jazz Combo will provide music. Food/cash bar available, as well as kettle corn by Ragan’s Kettle Corn.
This Able Veteran cosmic bingo
Cosmic bingo will take place Saturday, May 16, at VFW Post 805, 223 W. First St., O’Fallon. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.; bingo starts at 7 p.m. Cost is $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Price includes 6 bingo cards, cosmic dabber and cosmic hat. Additional bingo cards are $5. Cash bar, may bring own snacks. All proceeds benefit This Able Veteran. To make reservations contact Marcia at (618) 581-8402.
The Marine Corps’ Semper Fidelis Football Camp (SFFP) will take place from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 17, at O’Fallon Township High School. The Semper Fidelis All-American Football Camps provide an opportunity for student athletes to hone their football skills while receiving instruction from high school, college and NFL Players Association Coaches. For more info, call (314) 452-3856 or visit www.SemperFidelisFootball.com.
Historical Society meeting
The O’Fallon Historical Society will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 19, at the History Museum, 101 W. State, O’Fallon. After the business meeting will be a program featuring early aerial photos of Scott Air Force Base including from when it was a Lighter-than-Air (LTA) station. The public is welcome and admission is free.
Senior Citizens Club event
Seniors Citizens Club of O’Fallon will host memorial/business/birthdays/entertainment at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 20, at the Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon.
Memorial Day Program
The City of O’Fallon will hold its annual Memorial Day Program on Monday, May 25, at the O’Fallon Veterans’ Monument, 737 E. Wesley Drive, O’Fallon. Included will be a guest speaker, as well as participation from Fritz Mihelcic, Desert Storm, U.S. Army, and his service dog Mama Cass; the First Baptist Church of O’Fallon Adult Choir; OTHS AFJ ROTC; VFW Post 805; Brittany Gray, Miss O’Fallon 2013; and the USAF Honor Guard Rifle Team, among many others. The names of 24 newly-inscribed veterans will be introduced at this time. The program will commence at 11:30 a.m. Patriotic music selections will begin at approximately 11:20 a.m. Veterans are encouraged to wear their medals and decorations that day. People should bring their own lawn chairs and drinks. In case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be take place The First Baptist Church of O’Fallon, 1111 East Highway 50, O’Fallon.
Troop 40 fundraiser
The Troop 40 Superhero 5K and Mile Fun Run will take place at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 30, at Klucker Hall in Shiloh. Free pancake breakfast and facepainting. On Facebook: Troop 40 Superhero Run. For more info and to register contact firstname.lastname@example.org or find them at “Troop 40 Superhero Run” on Facebook and the web.. $25 entry supports local scouts.
OVFD golf classic
The O’Fallon Volunteer Fire Department 16th annual Spring Golf Classic will be Friday, June 5, at Tamarack Country Club. This tournament serves as the department’s primary fundraising activity that supports the O’Fallon community. For more info contact Fred Schmitt at (618) 698-7285.
‘The Good Life’ at St. Clare Church
“The Good Life: How to Build Your Life on God’s 3 Bold Promises” will take place from 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Saturday, June 6, at St. Clare Catholic Church in O’Fallon. Doors open at 8 a.m. for check-in and seating. The event is open for anyone over the age of 12. Tickets are available for $25 each at St. Clare Church or www.DynamicCatholic.com (follow the link for events). Or for tickets and more info call (859) 980-7900.
Pete MacLaughlin golf scramble
The 19th annual Pete MacLaughlin Memorial Golf Scramble will take place Sunday, June 7, at The Hills Golf Club (1015 Belleville St.) at McKendree University in Lebanon. Cost is $65. Check in starts at noon, tee off at 1 p.m., followed by a meal, prizes and auction. This golf scramble benefits the O’Fallon Community Food Pantry. For individual and team registration or further information, contact Roy Carlson, 624-1711.
Performing Arts, Show Choir Camp
Singing Panthers Performing Arts and Show Choir Camp will take place from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday, June 15, through Friday, June 19, at the OTHS Smiley campus, 600 S. Smiley St. Come and work with the OTHS Choral Department for a week jam packed with singing, dancing and performing. Learn music and choreography to Pop and Broadway songs; work with active OTHS Choir students; and end of the week performance for family and friends. Cost is $50 before Monday, June 1; $75 after June 1. Register online at othschoir.com.
Convoy of Hope event
Convoy of Hope metro-east community event will take place from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 15, at O’Fallon Community Park, 308 E. 5th St. Free food and services for each guest. Services include free on-site meal, free family portraits, free haircuts, free groceries, free medical and dental screenings, a job fair, community services, entertainment and prayer in the Connections Tent, along with a gigantic kid’s zone for children. For more info, call pastor Donald Andreasen at 632-5584 or visit convoyofhope.org/outreach/metroeast. Also, a volunteer rally will take place at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 14, at the O’Fallon Township High School Milburn Campus, 650 Milburn School Road. Contact Pastor Andreasen for info on that event as well.
Garden Club news
▪ Come play in the dirt with the O’Fallon Garden Club at its weekly community garden work days at the O’Fallon Community Garden at the corner of State and Smiley Streets. If spring garden cleaning, preparing to plant, weeding, mowing, composting and fertilizing are things people love to do, come to the garden and lend a hand. Remember to wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Tools are provided, but volunteers are encouraged to bring their own work gloves. Gardening is an excellent exercise alternative and the efforts will benefit the community by supplying fresh vegetables to the food pantry. All ages are welcome. For more information check out www.ofallongardenclub.com or O’Fallon IL Garden Club on Facebook.
▪ The club offers free educational tours of the O’Fallon Community Garden for anyone interested in gardening. Civic and community organizations are welcome.
▪ Garden work days are from 8 a.m.-noon every Monday and Thursday, weather permitting. If people can help with garden clean-up, planting, harvesting, weeding, mowing, composting and fertilizing, join them in the garden. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes and bring gloves and water. Tools provided. For more info, visit www.ofallongardenclub.org or facebook at O’Fallon IL Garden Club.
▪ The O’Fallon Garden Club announces the launch of its website, www.ofallongardenclub.com. This community group in O’Fallon is spreading the love of gardening. For the latest dirt on programs and special events and to see good being done in locally, go to this website.
▪ The O’Fallon Knights of Columbus and Ladies Auxiliary sponsor a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday at the K of C Hall, 402 E. Highway 50. Orders may be called in at 632-6229. Lunch also is available from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Fridays.
▪ O’Fallon VFW Post 805, 221 W. First Street, and its Ladies Auxiliary sponsor a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday. Dine-in or call 624-2651 for carry-out.
▪ American Legion Post 137, 109 N. Penn St., O’Fallon, hosts a fish fry from 4:30-8 p.m. every Friday. For take out orders, call 632-8878. Plenty of parking.
O’Fallon Moose Lodge 2608 hosts/sponsors a barbecue from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. the third Saturday of every month at American Legion Post 137, 109 N. Penn St., O’Fallon. Dine-in or carry-out. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Early Childhood Development Foundation. For more info call 632-8879.
All Pro Dad program
The All Pro Dad program meets at 8 a.m. the last Saturday of each month at Cornerstone Christian Church, 775 N. Green Mount Road, Shiloh. The meetings are open to all and a $5 Chick-Fil-A breakfast will be served. People should RSVP to www.allprodad.com/4368 so enough food can be provided. DJ Ficken (APD leader at Moye School) and Tom Vorce (APD leader at Laverna Evans School) will lead the chapter.
The O’Fallon Rotary Van is available from 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to transport any resident to where they need to go within city and township limits. For information, call 632-3517.
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) meets at 6:30 p.m. every Monday at the first United Methodist Church, 504 E. Hwy. 50. TOPS is a nonprofit, low-cost program open to men, women and children ages 7 through 18. For more information, call Kathy at 624-8031.
Stop 158 meets at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at 866 Old Enterprise Farms, Lebanon. Meetings are open to all interested parties. To confirm meeting times, call 632-3158.
The O’Fallon Community Food Pantry is open from 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays. The pantry is located at the O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St. in O’Fallon. For information, call 624-7040.
Cells for soldiers
Wolfersberger Funeral Home at 102 W. Washington St. in O’Fallon is a designated collection site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Used cell phones may be dropped off at the funeral home during regular business hours or by appointment by calling 632-3681.
Please submit any Around Town items to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org by noon the Monday prior to Thursday publication. Thank you