O’Fallon braces for new COVID-19 restrictions
Like other towns in St. Clair County, O’Fallon is bracing for the COVID-19 rollbacks that may take place Sept. 2.
That means inside dine-in bars and restaurants will be restricted to only outside service, and other mitigation efforts will be imposed in hopes of slowing the spread of the coronavirus.
O’Fallon Mayor Herb Roach said he was to attend a meeting Sept. 1, but has gotten nothing directly from officials yet.
“I have not heard anything from the county or the state on new restrictions,” he said Tuesday morning.
Roach has been vocal in his criticism about hurting local businesses and the people who work there. When the state announced new mitigation efforts, he, along with other local mayors, had many questions.
“Why can casinos (who have hundreds or thousands of patrons) stay open but small restaurateurs trying to make a living cannot? Why can two major auto races (which will bring thousands of people to the area and have them seated in close proximity) be allowed to proceed but our small businesses have to close their bars and dining rooms?” he said last week.
“To me, these actions are not being done equitably and are going to hurt our small business. Just as our small businesses were starting to see a return of their badly needed revenue, they once again will have to see their doors closed, inventory go to waste, and employees laid off. All while a vast majority were in full compliance with the guidelines,” he said.
O’Fallon has been proactive in getting communication out and trying to help educate citizens.
“Since the beginning of this pandemic, we have worked with both county and state officials and health departments to keep our community safe from this virus and keep our businesses operating to the maximum limits allowed,” Roach said.
As of Aug. 31, the zip code of 62269 had 449 cases, with three new cases reported that day.
Roach said the zip code takes in more than the city of O’Fallon and includes a significant part of Shiloh as well as other areas, and includes about 45,000 people.
“This is about 30% of the entire population of St. Clair County. So, when you see the number of cases in 62269 please realize that this zip code is approximately 30% of the entire population of the county but has only about 8% of the virus cases. In addition, the positivity rate in the 62269-zip code is considerably less than that of the St. Clair County or Region 4,” he said.
On Aug. 31, St. Clair County reported 56 new positive test results, ranging in age from below 10 to people in their 80s. Also as of Aug. 31, the county had recorded a total of 5,850 COVID-19 diagnoses and 174 deaths since the coronavirus pandemic began.
More information about Region 4, Phase 4
The counties in Metro-East Region 4 include Bond, Clinton, Madison, Monroe, Randolph, St. Clair and Washington. Three days straight of positivity rates above 8% last week forced tighter measures and Gov. J.B. Pritzker moved the deadline to Sept. 2 to get the COVID-19 positivity rate lower.
If the county rate dropped below 8%, the restrictions would be removed or lightened. However, on Aug. 31, the rate was 10.4%, after 10.5% on Aug. 30. and 10.4% on Aug. 29.
Under Phase 4, which went into effect this summer, indoor service at bars and restaurants was restored, with masks and social distancing guidelines. However, returning to only curbside, delivery and pickup, and outdoor dining only under Phase 3 seems likely until the numbers go down. The recent mitigation efforts including taking out bar stools, no congregating in bar areas and a closing time of 11 p.m.
New mask guidelines for bars and restaurants went into effect Aug. 18. Patrons were asked to wear face coverings over their nose and mouth when approached and serviced by establishment employees, such as when orders are taken, food and beverages are delivered and any interaction at the tables, whether indoor or outdoor dining.
This is also in effect for picking up carry out orders and at drive-thru windows.
Additional guidelines, canceled event
No dancing or party busses was part of the new guidelines.. Public gatherings are limited to either 25 people or 25% room capacity — whatever is the least amount of people.
St. Clair County IMEA clarified the tighter 25 or less gathering includes all public and private gatherings, social events and meetings regardless of where they are held. This includes funerals and events at a place of worship, such as halls or churches.
Restaurants are also taking a name and contact number for one member of a party. This helps in contact tracing and in letting patrons know if anyone has tested positive. Reservations are recommended.
However, Sweet Katie Bee’s Sustainable Bakery-Café said a reservation is not necessary for either a meal or a coffee or tea.
“Our usual precautions are in effect, plus the name and contact number for one member of a party is taken. We have additional outdoor seating and four well-spaced indoor tables,” Beth Hendrix said.
The O’Fallon Police Department, which has sponsored its popular Citizens Police Academy for years, has canceled its September plans.
“We will be back in 2021. The unknown about where this virus is headed and the possibility of future restrictions made it hard to do any long-term planning for this program,” said O’Fallon Police Capt. Kirk Brueggeman.
Outdoor events
Annual events have had to be altered or postponed with the emergency public health rules. The O’Fallon Sgt. Charles A Fricke VFW Post 805 is still planning its .1K Fun Run, only it has been transformed into an All-Day-Race-Day on Saturday, Sept. 5, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. People can complete the course at their leisure. The start and finish lines will be marked.
“Our super-fun race has gone virtual due to COVID-19 restrictions in place. We hope people will support us, along with the VFW National Home for Children. Race at your own pace for the length of about one city block,” said Sharon Zinck. “It’s fun for all ages and sizes.”
Participants can pick up their packets anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. under the pavilion in the VFW Post’s yard. Curbside service is available.
Registration is available at https://vfw805point1k.com.
The event benefits the VFW National Home for Children and the VFW Post 805 Troop Support Fund.
‘Back to the Garden’ event, breakin in at Hemingway’s
Another outdoor event taking place this week is for Hemingway’s Zen Garden, which was vandalized inside the bar and restaurant. The band Little Known Fact is donating their services to raise some funds to help owners Kim and Mike Smith.
On Aug. 23, Hemingway’s was broken into and a considerable amount of damage was done to the inside of the building, according to Brueggeman. An arrest was made that night. Delfred Jones, 24, of O’Fallon was charged with burglary and criminal damage to property, both felonies, on Aug. 24.
Hemingway’s is located at 123 E. State St. in downtown O’Fallon. The fundraising event, “Back to the Garden!,” is from 7-10 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 5.
“Let’s show some love and community support to a great place owned by a great couple,” a band statement read on Facebook.
Other musical acts will perform outside on “the Pandemic Patio,” including Scott Keller and Chimneyfish (John Diablo and Julie Jany-Carnahan).
Jennifer John Bickel also organized a fundraising effort on Facebook, Helping Hemingway’s Fundraiser, which has raised over $11,000 for its $15,000 goal.
“I am totally speechless and cannot even begin to express the gratitude we feel for all the generous donations from our Hemingway’s fans, friends, family and O’Fallon community!” said the owners on their Facebook page.
Community Support
Roach said he knew the requirements and restrictions were not easy for the businesses and residents of O’Fallon.
“We need everyone’s cooperation. Our county, like the rest of the state, made strides to lower the positivity rate but unfortunately, the confirmed cases of COVID-19 are now rising each day in our region,” he said. “We will get through this together.”
Efforts to help metro-east businesses were underway. An open letter to the governor asking him not to place further restrictions on the local communities has been attracting signatures. Here is the link: https://www.change.org/p/j-b-pritzker-allow-metro-east-businesses-to-remain-open?utm_content=cl_sharecopy_24431561_en-US%3A2&recruiter=1145581986&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition.
The Illinois Department of Public Health has provided the COVID-19 positivity rate since June 26 at dph.illinois.gov/regionmetrics.
Additional websites for COVID-19 information
- State of Illinois’ COVID-19 page: coronavirus.illinois.gov
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html
- Federal government’s coronavirus page: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- By zip code, people can look up statistics: dph.illinois.gov/covid19/covid19-statistics