O'Fallon Progress

O’Fallon may delay water and sewer service increase due to COVID-19 pandemic

Because residents have been stressed financially during the pandemic, O’Fallon is considering delaying any increase in water and sewer rates.

At its Sept. 21 meeting, the O’Fallon City Council will act on an ordinance delaying an automatic annual increase determined by the Consumer Price Index, which was scheduled for October, until at least January 2021. This would be for all O’Fallon utility customers, and the CPI adjustment is a 2.9 percent increase. The automatic adjustment would resume in October 2021.

“The city staff and city council feel strongly that it would greatly help the residents of O’Fallon and other O’Fallon utility customers to delay this increase while many are still struggling,” Mayor Herb Roach said. “The last thing that we want to do is add more to their already full plate.”

To freeze the rates, the council is expected to rescind in its entirety and replace an ordinance regarding water inside city, rates for Fairview Heights and outside the corporate limits. Aldermen already advanced the ordinance for final approval after a unanimous vote on first reading Sept. 8.

The annual rate hike is scheduled this way because it is usually the amount of the price increase for purchasing water from the private company, Illinois American Water.

This move is projected to reduce water revenue by about $80,000 and the sewer revenue by $50,000 if the postponement is three months.

When the pandemic forced the state to establish restrictions, O’Fallon joined other communities and refrained from disconnecting water and sewer services for unpaid balances and removed penalty fees. As of July 27, there were 501 past-due accounts, which totaled $113,679.

Roach said some utility providers in surrounding areas have reinstated shutoffs and assessing penalties.

At the Sept. 8 meeting, the council also advanced a new special event permit, which allows restaurants to use parking lots and streets as additional outdoor seating in the Downtown District (Second and Cherry streets) to comply with the state’s COVID-19 restrictions.

Extension would last another 6 months

It is an extension of the existing permit created in June 2020. The permit was set to expire Oct. 1, and if approved at the Sept. 21 meeting, this will extend it for an additional six months to help restaurants through the fall and potentially during nice days in the winter.

The ordinance change, up for final approval Sept. 21, will allow for sidewalk dining to occur year-round, from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Previously, the code said the timeframe was from March to Dec. 31. The staff still recommends an annual permit.

Community Development Director Ted Shekell said St. Elizabeth’s Hospital was seeking permission for a COVID-19 testing station and hoped to have it approved in a week to 10 days. The mayor was facilitating it through an executive order.

Other action taken by O’Fallon City Council

In other action, the council OK’d a resolution paying $53,000 to Henry, Meisenheimer and Gende Inc. for engineering services for the South Trunk Main Replacement Phase 1.

The existing sewer trunk main is concrete and in need of replacement. This project will replace the existing sanitary sewer trunk main, which is concrete and in need of replacement, beginning at the north end of Woodstream Sewer Phase 1 project and extend north approximately 5,000 feet where it converges with the north trunk main.

HMG will provide design engineering, topographical surveys, geotechnical investigation, and preparation of plans, specifications and IEPA construction permit application.

Food trucks, mayor’s hours

The council approved a special use permit for a Carnival Food Truck at the Gateway Classic Cars parking lot from Sept. 18-27. Anticipated attendance is no more than 10 cars and 20 people at any given time.

Two food trucks will be parked in the outer lot closest to Central Park Drive. Proper social distancing will be in practice and no seating will be provided. Hand-washing stations will be provided. Staff recommended approval, and the city clerk, finance, fire, EMS and police department reviewed the request.

The council approved the reappointment of Julie Spengler and Shannan Mason to the Historic Preservation Committee for three-year terms expiring in 2023.

The mayor said his evening hours will be from 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 16. Citizens must sign up in advance at city hall.

This story was originally published September 15, 2020 at 8:23 AM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER