O'Fallon Progress

In 1925, angry St. Clair County ‘autoists’ launched protest of road-side traffic courts

Brian Keller
Brian Keller Provided

There was a time when irregular roadside traffic courts were a real problem in this area. Here’s a Sept. 3, 1925, report from the O’Fallon Progress that shed light on the issue:

“As a preliminary step of protest to discontinue the practice of holding what is known as Kangeroo [sic] Courts along the state highways, such as has been in vogue on the Lincoln Trail (Route 50), west of this city, the St. Clair County Automobile Club fired the opening gun last week when it started to gather evidence and following this up by placing the matter before the Secretary of State.

“The action resulted after about 60 automobile drivers were caught in a ‘trap’ established on the Trail between this city and East St. Louis two weeks ago and the autoists were fined after being tried at a Kangeroo Court, which had been established on the roadside by a state automobile inspector.

“The club has filed a protest against the Kangeroo Court and other practices, which they deem unfair in arresting motorists for violating the dimming and cutout laws and is gathering evidence in the nature of affidavits, which will be used to carry on the investigation.

“One of the most vigorous protests in the hands of the club is that of C.J. Posey, of Lawrence, Kans., one of the victims of the roadside court. According to the affidavit of Posey he was driving from O’Fallon into East St. Louis and as a matter of courtesy dimmed his lights to approaching cars.

“With heavy traffic that night the Kansan claims it required about one-half hour to make the trip to Edgemont, where approaching cars came in such numbers that he discontinued dimming the lights as other motorists were traveling with glaring headlights. He claims he had not gone more than 100 feet when he was stopped by an officer and told to go back and tell it to the judge.

“‘I was compelled to turn my car around on the pavement on either side of which were banisters and made to go before a building in which a “Kangeroo Court” was being held,’ said Posey.

“‘I was asked why I did not dim my lights to the officer and I said I did not know the officer was approaching. I was next asked if I wanted to plead guilty or not guilty. I said I would plead not guilty. The judge, Carl Jerome, then said I would have to sign a bond of $200. I asked him when the trial would be and he said in about ten days to which I replied that I would not be in the State ten days. I agreed to plead guilty as I did not want to remain ten days and my fine was $6.40 which I paid.’

“In filing the protest the automobile club sets forth that the majority of autoists are not flagrant law violators and that tourists should be (given) consideration before fines are assessed, especially on the dimming of lights. Also that arrests should be handled through regularly instituted courts instead of improvised courts, such as has been the case west of here.”

75 years ago, May 27, 1948

Stanley K. Kimes, Basso Profundo, former O’Fallon boy and graduate of O.T.H.S., at present a student in the Juilliard School of Grand Opera in New York City, has been contracted to appear with the N.B.C. through the summer months on the national network of the Chase & Sanborn hour, replacing the present Charlie McCarthy show.

According to information received here Monday Kimes will be a member of the Robert Shaw chorus of 36 male voices as soloist. He was selected for this important assignment from a field of 550 men in competitive auditions.

This series of programs will begin about June 20th, and is to be heard locally over KSD on the N.B.C. network at 7 o’clock p.m. Sunday evenings. It is to be one of the principal programs produced by the National Broadcasting Company and will be transmitted throughout the United States and many foreign countries.

Kimes has received other national awards in competitive auditions. Known as an outstanding vocalist he recently made his Grand Opera debut at a Juilliard performance. He has been granted leave of absence by the Juilliard Foundation in order that he may carry out his radio assignment. Kimes is a son of Mrs. Lawrence Harter, of this city.

50 years ago, May 24, 1973

The O’Fallon Memorial Pool will open its doors to water lovers this Saturday, May 26 at 1 p.m. Pool hours from May 28 to June 8 except Saturday and Sunday, will be from 4 to 9:45 p.m. until school is over. After the schools are closed for the year, the pool will be open from 1 to 9:45 p.m.

Season passes will go on sale this Friday and Saturday at the First National Bank and the Bank of O’Fallon from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday and 9-12 a.m. on Saturday. Passes can be bought at the pool after 1 p.m. Saturday. Passes are $12 for adults (12 years old and over) and $9 for children.

Four sessions of swimming lessons will be given at the pool. They are: Session One – June 11 through 29; Session Two – July 2 through 20; Session Three – July 23 through Aug. 10; and Session Four – Aug. 13 through 24.

Sessions One, Two and Three are three weeks long, five days a week. Each class is 45 minutes long starting at 9 a.m., 9:45 a.m., 10 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. Session Four is two weeks long, five days a week. Classes are an hour long. They begin at 9 a.m., 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. This class is set up to accommodate those who are attending summer school.

This story was originally published May 22, 2023 at 9:26 AM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER