With the end of the school year upon us, here’s a look back on teachers’s salaries in O’Fallon city schools for the 1941-42 school year.
We’ll start with the grade school teachers, listing their monthly salaries and what they taught:
▪ Flora Schneider, 1st grade, $120.
▪ Estelle Kampmeyer, 1st & 2nd, $115.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ Clara Shumaker, 2nd & 3rd, $110.
▪ Mary Crouse, 3rd & 4th, $100.
▪ Bertie Bauer, 4th & 5th, $90.
▪ Lillian Scott, 5th, $110.
▪ The departmental (upper grades) teachers each made $125 per month — Agnes Gordon, Anna Fischer, Marie Schaefer and Frances Eckert.
▪ Dorothy Irwin taught vocal music and art for $110.
▪ The janitor, Richard Titter, received $150 per month.
▪ The grade school superintendent was J. Emmett Hinchcliffe who received $161.11 per month from the grade school district.
Next week, the high school.
75 years ago
May 29, 1941
Jacob Pohlman, manager of the O’Fallon Riding Stables announces a wild west show by professionals and local talent at his ranch, one mile northwest of this city Sunday afternoon, beginning at 2 o’clock.
There will be bulldogging, riding steers, trick roping, etc. In the evening there will be an open-air dance with music by a cowboy band.
Admission to the show will be 15 cents for adults and 10 cents for children. Admission to the dance, 30 cents.
50 years ago
May 26, 1966
The O’Fallon Jaycees will hold their annual picnic Saturday and Sunday in O’Fallon Community Park with the proceeds to be used in the organization’s youth activities.
The Jaycees annually sponsor baseball and football leagues in which hundreds of boys participate.