Below is a list of airships assigned to Scott Field from 1921-37.
▪ A-4 (162 feet long. Non-rigid. Built by Goodyear): Participated in the Brig. Gen. Billy Mitchell bombing tests off Virginia before arriving at Scott Field. Landed at Belleville Township High School in February 1923. Dismantled late in 1923;
▪ C-2 (196 feet long. Non-rigid): Stopped at Scott Field during the transcontinental flight on Sept. 15, 1922. A C-Class blimp was the first to carry an airplane aloft in New York on Dec. 12, 1918);
▪ C-14 (Non-rigid. Built by Goodyear): Arrived at Scott Field in June 1922 to replace airship TC-11. Deflated while on the ground at Scott Field in only 10 mph wind on July 17, 1923. C-14 was dismantled soon afterwards;
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
▪ D-2 (No. 2) (198 feet long. Non-rigid): Stored at Scott Field in early 1922 until late 1922. Used at Scott Field for training. Replaced in early 1924 by the TC-type airship;
▪ D-4 (Built by Goodrich. Non-rigid): Transferred to Scott Field from Langley Field and used for training. Stored at Scott Field in early 1922 until late 1922. Replaced in early 1924 by the TC-type airship;
▪ SST (Submarine Scout, Twin-Engine) (166 feet long. British-built): Evaluated at Scott Field from 1922-23. SST-3 (or possibly SST-12) crashed near South Carrollton KY while operating from Scott Field seven hours after becoming a free balloon. The SST Class passed out of U.S. Army service in late 1923/early 1924;
▪ RN-1 (French-built. 264 feet long): Based at Scott Field circa 1923. Originally, one 75mm gun was mounted in the gondola. Placed in storage at Scott Field in 1924 and eventually scrapped. The RN-1’s profile appeared in the Army Airship Pilot’s Wings;
▪ Type AA or OA Class “Pony Blimp.” (95.5 feet long. Built by Goodyear. Non rigid): OA-1 arrived at Scott Field on Feb. 18, 1922. Damaged on in a storm at Scott Field on Sept. 26, 1922. Served in training until 1923, when replaced by OB and TA-Type airships; and
▪ OB Class Airship (94.8 feet long. Non-rigid): OB-1 was stationed at Scott Field in 1922. Declared obsolete at the end of 1923.