Scott Air Force Base News

Scott Field structures associated with the lighter-than-air training school from 1921-37

Pictured is Bldg. 76, Balloon Hangar, at Scott Field. It was completed April 6, 1923.
Pictured is Bldg. 76, Balloon Hangar, at Scott Field. It was completed April 6, 1923.

Below is the list of Scott Field structures associated with the lighter-than-air training school from 1921-37:

▪ Bldg. 40, Air Corps Airship Enlisted Men’s Barracks: A 132-man Enlisted Men’s Barracks completed Dec. 15, 1931, at a cost of $99,850. That’s equivalent to about $1.6 million today. The current modified Building P-40 houses Air Mobility Command’s Surgeon General offices;

▪ Bldg. 72, Hydrogen Gas Holder (500,000 cubic feet): Completed May 31, 1923. Torn down in September 1938. 96 feet in diameter and 82 feet high;

▪ Bldg. 73, Airship Hangar Heating Plant: Completed Jan. 31, 1923. Torn down in January 1939 with other airship buildings;

▪ Bldg. 74, Sewage Ejector Station-Airship Hangar: Completed Jan. 31, 1923. Torn down in January 1939 with other airship buildings;

▪ Bldg. 75, Standard Airship Hangar: Completed Jan. 31, 1923. 810 feet in length, 206.5 feet in width, and 178 feet in height. It was the second largest airship hangar in the U.S. when built. Demolished August-December 1938 with other airship buildings. Scrap for Bldg. 75 and supporting Bldgs. 74, 85, 76, 97, and 73 were sold to American Wrecking Company for $20,851 (equivalent to $298,249 today) to make room for Scott Field’s planned new mission as the general headquarters of the Army Air Corps;

▪ Bldg. 76, Balloon Hangar: Completed April 6, 1923. 120 feet in length, 60 feet in width, and 60 feet in height. Torn down in December 1938 along with Airship Hangar and airship support buildings;

▪ Bldg. 77, Electrical Sub-Station: Completed May 2, 1923, at a cost of $7,348 (equivalent to $105,300 today). It is currently Bldg. P-7, housing the Staff Judge Advocate Office on Heritage Drive and is the oldest surviving structure on Scott AFB;

▪ Bldg. 78, Gas Cylinder Test Plant/Hydrogen Plant: Capacity to produce 50,000 cubic feet of hydrogen lifting gas every 24 hours. Completed May 2, 1923. Torn down in August 1938;

▪ Bldg. 79, Helium Purification Plant: Completed May 2, 1923. Torn down in August 1938; and

▪ Bldg. 94, 5,000 Cubic Foot Gas Holder: Torn down in September 1938.

  Comments