Crime

Two charged in shooting that has left a Madison County teenager fighting for her life

Two Alton men have been charged in connection with the shooting of a 13-year-old girl.
Two Alton men have been charged in connection with the shooting of a 13-year-old girl. Getty Images/iStockphoto

Two people have been charged in connection with a shooting in Alton that has left a 13-year-old girl fighting for her life.

Alvin Perry III, 19, of Alton, was charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm, unlawful possession of a weapon by a felon and aggravated unlawful use of weapons, Madison County State’s Attorney Tom Haine announced Wednesday.

Raysean M. Colvin, 19, of Alton, was charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm, unlawful possession of a weapon by a felon, unlawful sale or delivery of firearms, and aggravated unlawful use of weapons.

The teenage girl was struck in the head by a bullet as she stood on the porch outside a house on Highland Avenue Saturday afternoon. Haines said in a release Wednesday that it’s not believed she was the person targeted in the shooting.

She was transported to a St. Louis hospital, where she remains in critical condition, the release stated.

“The victim in this case was truly an innocent victim of senseless violence,” Haine said. “A beautiful young girl is fighting for her life. We pray for the victim, her family and her loved ones.”

Alton Police Department detectives are continuing to investigate the shooting, and additional charges could be announced, Haine said.

Alton Police Chief Jarrett Ford said investigators assigned to the case have been working around-the-clock since the shooting occurred.

“We will not stop until there is justice for this innocent child clinging to her life,” he said in a statement.

Perry and Colvin are being held at the Madison County Jail pending a pretrial detention hearing.

Perry already was facing a felony charge for attempted armed robbery, but had been released from custody as he awaited trial, according to a judge’s decision under Illinois’ SAFE T Act. Haine’s office argued against Perry’s release.

This story was originally published February 7, 2024 at 4:09 PM.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER