Belleville man gets federal prison sentence for high-speed chase, weapons charge
A Belleville man who led police on a high-speed chase through Washington and Perry counties was sentenced to federal prison time Monday for carrying the gun that was seized during his arrest.
Michael Oliver, 46, had warrants for domestic battery and kidnapping issued against him when he attempted to flee from officers in Nashville in July of last year. In December, a federal jury in the Southern District of Illinois convicted him of one count of felon in possession of a firearm.
A judge sentenced him to 20 years in prison plus four years of supervised release.
“The Nashville Police Department would like to thank the assistance received during this investigation,” Nashville Police Lt. Brock Styninger said in a statement. “The ATF was extremely resourceful to our agency during this investigation, and the U. S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Illinois did an excellent job with the prosecution of this case.
“We look forward to working with these agencies again in the future to help bring dangerous individuals to justice.”
According to police reports, a Nashville police lieutenant attempted to stop a white Ford Explorer that was speeding and passing cars around a curve on Illinois 127 near Richview Road at about 10:30 p.m. on July 9, 2024.
The driver of the Ford, later identified as Oliver, did not stop and accelerated southbound out of Nashville toward Pinckneyville at speeds of over 100 mph. A Pinckneyville police officer set up spike strips on the north end of town, which deflated one of the Explorer’s front tires.
Police believe the SUV drove through the Perry County Courthouse lawn during the pursuit, causing damage.
The SUV eventually struck a Perry County sheriff squad car, disabling both vehicles off the road south of Pinckneyville where they came to a stop.
Oliver then tried to flee on foot before being arrested. Along the chase route, officers located a Lorcin model L380 firearm Oliver discarded from his vehicle, according to court records.
“This 20-year sentence delivers an unmistakable warning: felons who arm themselves, flee justice, and threaten our officers’ safety will confront the full, unwavering strength of our commitment to protect those who serve — accountability isn’t just a word, it’s our mission,” said U.S. Attorney Steven D. Weinhoeft in a statement.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Hudson prosecuted the case.