Crime

Police: 15-year-old involved in O’Fallon police chase is charged

One of the two juveniles taken into custody after the stolen SUV they were in crashed in O’Fallon after a police pursuit Thursday has been charged.

The 15-year-old boy’s identity was not released, but O’Fallon Police Department Capt. James Cavins said Friday he faces four felony charges: two counts of aggravated fleeing from police, a count of aggravated unlawful possession of a stolen vehicle and a count of unlawful possession of a stolen motor vehicle.

The juvenile who was charged Friday is from East St. Louis, as is the 11-year-old boy also captured by O’Fallon police shortly after the boys ran from officers after crashing a stolen SUV at the Jack Schmidt Chevrolet lot on Regency Park Drive. The SUV had been involved in a police pursuit that forced a temporary soft lockdown at O’Fallon schools.

The case against the 11-year-old remains pending, Cavins said.

Four other males were taken into custody later Thursday in East St. Louis. Also recovered was an Audi sedan reported stolen from St. Louis.

The stolen Audi and the suspects who allegedly stole it were first seen by Swansea residents around 9 a.m. Thursday, who called police after the suspects began looking into cars. Officers attempted to locate the suspects at that time but were not successful.

Charges are pending against the suspects who were taken into custody in East St. Louis.

News-Democrat

This story was originally published January 29, 2016 at 4:30 PM with the headline "Police: 15-year-old involved in O’Fallon police chase is charged."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER