Weather News

Spring’s not here yet. Heavy snow — up to 7 inches — predicted for this weekend

IDOT’s tips for driving in winter weather

Here are some tips from the Illinois Department of Transportation for driving in winter weather. Video produced by IDOT.
Up Next
Here are some tips from the Illinois Department of Transportation for driving in winter weather. Video produced by IDOT.

Heavy snow is possible for the metro-east over the weekend, which could make travel difficult, along with bitterly cold temperatures, according to the latest forecast.

A winter storm watch is in effect from 6 p.m. Saturday until 6 p.m. Sunday. The National Weather Service is warning that there could be a total of 4-7 inches of snow accumulation.

According to the agency’s St. Louis office, there is a 10 percent chance that some spots could see as much as 7-10 inches. It is likely, with a 90 percent chance, that most of the area will see 1-2 inches of snow.

On Friday, the forecast said snow could start falling around 7 p.m. Saturday after a chance of rain. Then, Sunday is expected to bring more snow.

Illinois Department of Transportation spokeswoman Jessie Decker said Friday that IDOT was in good shape with salt and equipment and was pretreating “critical areas.” She said crews would be out clearing roads over the weekend.

In Missouri, officials were advising people to stay off the roads during the winter storm. The Missouri Department of Transportation issued a “no travel advisory” for the weekend. In a news release, the agency stated that sleet, freezing rain and blowing snow would make driving dangerous.

Sunday night will also bring single-digit temperatures to the metro-east. The low is expected to be around 7 degrees.

It could be sunny again by Monday, but it will still be cold. The high temperature will be 19 degrees, and the low will be 9.

The Outdoor Power Equipment Institute reminds home owners to be prepared in advance of a winter storm and keep safety in mind when using snow blowers and generators.

The metro-east is home for investigative reporter Lexi Cortes. She was raised in Granite City, went to school in Edwardsville and now lives in Collinsville. Lexi has worked at the Belleville News-Democrat since 2014, winning multiple state awards for her investigative and community service reporting.

  Comments