Waterloo tops Carbondale for second straight regional title

After a scoreless first half, the Waterloo Bulldogs scored two goals in the first seven minutes of the second half en route to a 3-0 win over Carbondale at the Carbondale 2A boys soccer regional final Friday at the Fralish Soccer Complex.

“Hats off to Carbondale,” said Waterloo coach Chad Holden, whose team won its second straight regional title. “Their goalie came up with two good saves in the first half. We needed to adjust a few things for the second half and we did. We felt if we needed to take a few more shots in the second half to force it and take some chances and that’s what we did.”

Carbondale (9-12-1) was held to just two shots for the game and none after intermission.

“I felt like if we could find a way to slow them down we could have a shot,” said Carbondale coach Jeff Hansen. “But then it went the other way. They really contained us. We couldn’t connect going forward and it was kind of smothering. It was frustrating. Credit Waterloo. Not too many teams have done that to us this year.”

Waterloo (20-3-1) had five shots in the first half, but Carbondale freshman goalkeeper Braulio Ostos was able to keep the Bulldogs out of the net.

The Bulldogs finally got behind Ostos when Kane Osterhage and Dawson Holden executed a perfect give-and-go, resulting in Osterhage getting behind the Terrier defense and being able to tap in the pass from Holden.

Two and a half minutes later, Ethan Lewis picked up a loose ball in the box and punched it past Ostos to up the lead to 2-0.

The Bulldogs kept the pressure on, and Griffin Lenhardt was able to get a clean shot off, but one of the Terrier defenders was able to kick the ball clear.

With 26:17 remaining Lenhardt got another shot off and Ostos made the save, but couldn’t control the rebound allowing Ben Huels to score.

There were few scoring chances for either team in the first half. The Bulldogs missed a golden chance at the 33-minute mark when Osterhage rocketed a shot from the left side that Ostos got his fingers on, and the ball went off the cross bar.

Four minutes later, Carbondale senior Mario Cruz split two defenders in the box, but he was knocked down before the pass could catch up to him.

With 1:36 remaining in the half, Osterhage got free in front of the net and got a header aimed for the right corner, but Ostos was able to make the save.