Saint Louis University freshman basketball player Jordan Goodwin, an Althoff High School graduate, was suspended from the team for two months Tuesday after being found in violation of school policy related to its Title IX investigation.
Goodwin released the following statement: "I take responsibility for a violation of university policy. I am going to take this short time to reflect and learn from this situation. I apologize to everyone who has been affected. I am sad to leave my team, but I look forward to returning to Team Blue in May."
Goodwin will miss the Billikens' final five regular-season contests, all of their games in the Atlantic-10 Conference Tournament and any potential postseason games.
The Billikens are down to seven eligible scholarship players heading into their A-10 game at 5 p.m. Saturday at Richmond.
SLU coach Travis Ford said Tuesday afternoon that he will work with whatever players remain.
"I approach each day to try to make it the best. I approach every day to try to make this program the best it can be," Ford said. "That won't change. That hasn't changed, and that won't change. From that standpoint, we're going to attack practice just like we've always attacked practice, and try to get better, try to prepare for a tough game Saturday."
The 6-foot-4 Goodwin is averaging 11.5 points and a team-best 7.5 rebounds for SLU, which is 14-12 overall and 7-6 in the A-10. He also is averaging four assists and leads SLU with 52 steals.
Goodwin scored a season-high 28 points and was 13 of 16 from the free-throw line Saturday in a 70-62 victory over La Salle at Chaifetz Arena. He had the first triple-double in program history with 13 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists in a 76-63 victory Jan. 17 against visiting Duquesne. He had double-doubles in four other games.
"We're going to need everybody to step up. There's no question," Ford said. "But you deal with different things throughout the season. Guys have to step up, whatever the occasion may be, whether it's an injury or whatever. That will be our approach."
In September, three women accused four Billikens players of sexual assault. Of the four, Goodwin was the only one who was allowed to practice and play in games. The other three were allowed to practice, but did not participate in games.
In January, it was announced that one of the four players had been expelled. Appeals were filed.
The announcement Tuesday that Goodwin will be permitted to rejoin the team in May serves as an indication that his penalty may have been reduced.
SLU has made no comment about the situation other than that the outside investigation into the alleged sexual assault had been completed.
Two players, sophomore Ty Graves and redshirt junior Adonys Henriquez, no longer are with the Billikens. Both withdrew from SLU last week, with Henriquez securing an agent. Another player, redshirt sophomore Jermaine Bishop, has continued to practice.
Ford has lauded Goodwin this season, as the point guard has adapted to his new position and handled the learning curve that comes with moving into the college basketball ranks.
"He's doing a good job," Ford said after the Billikens lost 75-74 in overtime to VCU on Jan. 24. "We expect that out of him. He's playing to his strengths. He's always active on the glass. He's doing a better job finishing around the rim. ... He's doing what he's capable of doing. He takes what the defense gives him most of the time."
Goodwin was the News-Democrat's Large-School Player of the Year as a junior at Althoff in 2016, when the Crusaders won the Class 3A state tournament. They were runner-ups in 2015.
Goodwin scored a school-record 2,324 points at Althoff. His senior season was cut short by a shoulder injury that required surgery.
Goodwin signed with SLU over Illinois, Alabama, Northwestern, Missouri, Butler and Creighton.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.