College Sports

Former Belleville football stars ‘not surprised’ by decision to delay Big Ten season

Jordyn Slaughter had a bad feeling when he went to practice Tuesday afternoon.

An Althoff graduate and 6-5, 305-pound sophomore on the University of Illinois football team, Slaughter had put himself in contention for significant playing time at right guard for the Illini, which finished 6-7 and advanced to the Redbox Bowl in 2019.

But following workouts Tuesday, all the rumors of the past few weeks surrounding COVID-19 and Big Ten intercollegiate athletics this fall ended when conference officials announced the postponement of the 2020-21 fall sports season.

“Honestly, I really wasn’t surprised. I had a bad feeling about it all day,” Slaughter said in a telephone interview Wednesday. “A lot of my teammates, we talked about it and after it became official, we had a team meeting where we gave our opinions, expressed our feelings and concerns and are looking forward with our focus on the spring season.”

The announcement includes the postponement of all regular season Big Ten contests and conference championships and tournaments, due to ongoing health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The second P5 conference along with the PAC-12 to postpone its fall schedule, the Big Ten hopes to play those sports in the spring. Meanwhile, the Big 12 Conference Board of Directors confirmed again Wednesday it will proceed with its fall schedules. The Big 12 football season begins Sept. 26.

The remaining P5 conferences — the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and Southeastern Conference (SEC) — said in statements this week they would continue to make decisions about a fall football season based on the advice of their medical professionals. The ACC football season is tentatively slated to begin Sept. 5, while the SEC, which includes the Missouri Tigers, is tentatively planning to start its 10 game conference-only schedule Sept. 26.

But for Slaughter, one of three metro-east area athletes along with sophomore defensive end Keith Randolph and senior defensive back Tony Adams on the current 2020 Illinois football roster, the focus is on continuing to train and hoping the COVID-19 situation improves to where a Big Ten season will happen in the spring.

“It’s all very unfortunate because we were all so optimistic after last year and looking forward to getting off to a good start this year. But we all realize that the health and safety of everyone is what matters,” Slaughter said. “As of right now, the plan is to play in the spring.”

‘You control what you can control’

Also in line for quality playing time this season is Randolph. A two-sport standout at Belleville West and the 2018 Belleville News-Democrat Large School Defensive Player of the Year when he helped the Maroons reach the Class 7A playoffs, the 6-5, 270-pound Randolph played in four games and was credited with seven tackles at defensive end before being redshirted for the remainder of the 2019 season.

Randolph said despite all the rumors concerning the season, he was surprised when the announcement was made Tuesday.

“Honestly, yes I was. We all know how important football is in the Big Ten ... so yes it was a surprise,” Randolph said. “It was heartbreaking really. A lot of the players were really upset. But you control what you can control.

“We had a meeting and coach (Lovie) Smith and our Athletic Director Josh Whitman came in and told us what was happening and gave us the bad news. Like I said, it was pretty heartbreaking. Everybody was looking forward to and excited about playing. We all took it really hard.”

Illinois was scheduled to open its season Sept. 3 at home against No. 2 ranked Ohio State at Memorial Stadium.

Randolph’s rise as a major contributor on the Illinois defensive line is a remarkable one. After playing football at Belleville West for only two years, he was ranked as the No. 36 strong side defensive end in the nation by Rivals.com as a senior when he was named a USA Today first team all-state selection as well as a first team all-state pick by the Illinois High School Football Coaches Association.

Before choosing Illinois, Randolph had scholarship offers from Florida State, Iowa, Minnesota, Syracuse and Virginia, among others.

Now, if and when the Illini line up in the spring, Randolph will more than likely be a key player on the defensive line.

“Everything has been going well in preseason workouts. With the players we lost to graduation ... I think I’ve got a chance to play,” Randolph said. “I’m just continuing to work hard and get better every single day.”

Slaughter looking to make an impact

After watching, learning and working hard, Slaughter had hoped his third year in Champaign would be the one where he would see significant playing time on the offensive line.

Ranked as the No. 75 offensive tackle in the nation by ESPN as a senior at Althoff in 2018, Slaughter was redshirted as a freshman, then only saw playing time in the season opener against Akron a year ago.

Now bigger and stronger, Slaughter must wait at least a few more months for his chance to prove himself as an anchor up front.

“We just have to be strong and keep working through all of this and hope we can play in the spring,” Slaughter said. “I feel like I was having a good (summer) and preseason camp.

“The way it looks right now, I have an opportunity to be the (offensive line) first alternate which means I would be playing. I’ve worked hard for this opportunity.”

Dean Criddle
Belleville News-Democrat
Dean Criddle has been a reporter at the Belleville News-Democrat for more than 32 years and currently covers public safety . The SIUE graduate was elected in 2020 to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame as a sports writer. Dean is married and lives in Belleville.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER