The pure dominance of EJ Liddell and the Belleville West Maroons continued be one of the early storylines from the Washington Tournament of Champions Wednesday at Washington High School.
Less than 24 hours after recording a double-double in an opening night win, Liddell scored 24 points and added 11 rebounds and five blocked shots as the Maroons defeated Sumter Lakewood, S.C. 66-30 in a pool play contest.
Liddell, who scored 39 points with 12 rebounds and six blocked shots in an 81-57 win over Urbana on Tuesday, played just 20 minutes Wednesday. Maroons coach Joe Muniz gave his all-state senior the hook with three minutes remaining in the third quarter.
“Lakewood was a quick, very athletic team which took the ball to the basket well. But after we went to a zone defense they really didn’t have an answer,’’ Muniz said.. “I thought we played better today. We didn’t rush as much. We were much calmer.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
“EJ has had two good games and played well. He’s a tough matchup for anyone to guard.’’
Prior to Tuesday’s game, Liddell’s career scoring high was 35 points against Lakewood, Texas in last year’s Tournament of Champions.
Lawrence Brazil III, Will Shumpert, Tommie Williams and Keith Randolph combined for 29 points for West, which can earn a second straight trip to the title game with a win over the LeFlore High School Rattlers of Mobile, Alabama Friday at 6:15 p.m.
The championship game is set for 6:30 p.m. on Saturday. West placed second a year ago.
LeFlore, led by Wichita State University recruit DeAntoni Gordon, lost to Urbana 64-58 on Wednesday.
“Urbana is a good team. They played us close for a half and then today they go out and beat LeFlore,’’ Muniz said. “LeFlore is very athletic and has to very good forwards.
“As for us, we’ve had a nice start. But we still have a long way to go.’’
Here are results from other Thanksgiving tournament games Wednesday:
- O’Fallon knocked off Carnahan, 44-33. Shawn Riley II led the Panthers (2-1) with 13 points.
- Alton (2-0) defeated Althoff (1-1), 81-55.
- Collinsville (1-0) dominated Carterville (1-1), 66-29. Ray’Sean Taylor scored 25 points and Marshall Harrison had 16 to lead the Kahoks.
- Centralia (2-0) defeated Belleville East (0-2), 49-44.
- Mascoutah (1-1) defeated Columbia (0-1) 59-53. Shawn Weinstroer led Mascoutah with 18 points and Malike Green kicked in 15. Jon Peterson scored 16 for Columbia in the Eagles opener.
- Waterloo (1-1) dfeated Wesclin (1-1), 32-29.
At Metro-East Lutheran
- Valemeyer (1-0) beat Wood River (0-2), 67-60. Jacob Rowald led the Pirates with 17 points.
- Marissa (1-1) defeated Dupo (0-1), 53-26. Sebastion Ivory-Greer scored 14 to lead the Meteors.
- Litchfield (2-0) knocked off Gibault (1-1), 57-46.
- Piasa Southwestern (1-1) beat Lebanon (0-2), 53-30. Southwestern was led by Addis Moore’s 18 points while Luke Krumsieg paced Lebanon with 12.
- Springfield (1-0) defeated Cahokia (0-1), 84-60.
At Effingtham St. Anthony
- Mattoon (2-0) defeated Central (1-1), 58-49.
- Highland (2-0) dropped St. Athony (1-1), 59-51.
At O’Fallon Girls Shootout
- Edwardsville nipped Hazelwood Central, 40-39. Sydney Harris scored a game-high 14 for the Tigers.
- O’Fallon (1-2) beat Chatham Glenwood, 61-33. Ashley Schloer scored a game-high 14 while Izzy Akoro and Amelia Bell scored 11 each. Kayla Gordon added 10 for O’Fallon.
- Belleville West defeated Chatham Glenwood, 43-35.
- Hazelwood Central knocked off Belleville East, 55-49.
- Gibault (3-3) defeated Bunker Hill (0-2), 37-15. Ashlyn Wightman scored a game-high 17 to lead the Hawks.