The Southern Illinois Miners scored a 5-4 victory Tuesday over the Gateway Grizzlies in Frontier League baseball action.
The loss, which came on the birthday of mascot Izzy the Grizzlie, dropped Gateway to 9-13 on the season.
The Grizzlies had returned to action after a day off Monday.
Game 2 of the series will be at 7:05 p.m. Wednedsay night. The game can be heard on the Grizzlies Radio Network, which airs on 1400 AM KJFF and www.GatewayGrizzlies.com/Radio. Sam Levitt and Matt Sabados have the call.
Here are promotions for the rest of the homestand:
▪ Wednesday: Splash Bash is back! Presented by Munie Leisure Center, this day game special will be packed with water games for the whole family. In addition, it is Strike Out Hunger Wednesday. Bring in two canned food items to be donated to the food bank and get a free ticket to the game.
▪ Thursday: The SWIBL All Star Showcase continues throughout the day before the Grizzlies take on the Southern Illinois Miners. It’s also Thirsty Thursday so come out and enjoy drink specials throughout the park.
▪ Friday: Lookout, it’s Crazy Gameshow Night. And Corngrowers night. There will be prize winners every inning and if the Grizzlies hit a grand slam in the 7thinning one lucky fan will take home $10,000. There will also be a silent auction for a player’s camo jersey from a previous game. The Corngrowers will have tractors outside GCS Ballpark to promote awareness of the agriculture industry in Illinois.
▪ Saturday: Be prepared for a magical evening at GCS Ballpark for the first princess night of the season. We encourage all princesses to be Belle for the night as we paint the park yellow in honor of Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, presented by Northwestern Mutual –Clayton. If you purchase tickets through Northwestern Mutual – Clayton a portion of the proceeds will go to ALSF and booths will be set up in the park for individuals to donate the day of the game. For every homerun the Grizzlies hit this season, $150 will be donated to ALSF. You can text “Lemonade” and “E1224463” to 85944 to donate at any time. Join us for our second princess night on July 29 as Miss America Betty Cantrell makes an appearance.
▪ Sunday: 2016 is the 20th anniversary of Happy Gilmore and it’s time to celebrate. Far Oaks Golf Course presents a night of golfing fun and two fans will have a chance to win a bobblehead. As with every Sunday, you can also bring along your dog for Bark in the Park presented by Mon Clair Animal Hospital. Kids can run the bases after the game.
For more information about tickets or the promotions, call 618-337-3000.