What’s Happening for Aug. 31.
Noon Thursday, Aug. 24, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
The Belleville News-Democrat September Festival Calendar will appear in print this Sunday, Sept. 3.
Email is preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
▪ 42nd Annual St. Louis Gateway Postcard Club show and sale — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. VFW Hall, 1234 Vandalia St., Collinsville. Free admission, free parking, free appraisals and daily attendance prizes. Food will be for sale. Information: Tom Snyder, 618-531-4189.
▪ Belleville’s Old Town Farmer’s Market — 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. First block of South Charles, Belleville. Locally grown veggies, fruit, pasture raised beef, plants and crafts. Shop local farmers and grow Belleville.
▪ Blood Drive — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday. Memorial Hospital Belleville auditorium. Must be 16 years of age or older to donate, feeling healthy the day of drive and a photo ID is required. Free T-shirts will be given to all donors while supplies last. To make an appointment: www.redcrossblood.org, enter sponsor code MemorialBelleville or call 800-733-2767.
▪ ‘Come as You Are’ Tai Chi — 5 p.m. Wednesday. Ever and Anon Park, corner of East Main and Mascoutah Ave., Belleville. Free one-hour class for all ages and skill levels. Sponsored by the Belleville Heritage Society.
▪ Free movies in City Park — 7:15 p.m. Saturday. City Park Bandstand, Edwardsville. Showing, “Beauty and the Beast.” (2017) Sponsored by Greater Madison County Federation of Labor. www.cityofedwardsville.com.
▪ Join the Metro-east Community Chorale — 7 p.m. Monday. First United Presbyterian Church, 1303 Royal Heights Road, Belleville. Rehearsals every Monday. No audition required. Focus on spirituals, popular music and traditional. All are welcome. metroeastcommunitychorale.org or 618-235-3712.
▪ Modern Technology of the Past — 9 a.m. to noon, Saturday. St. Clair County Historical Society, 701 E. Washington St., Belleville. In the 19th century, technology was changing how people lived, worked, played, and communicated. Come out and enjoy hands-on activities and demonstrations of these marvels of their age. 618-234-0600.
▪ Parkview Church Flea Market — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Parkview Church, 50 Longacre Drive, Fairview Heights. $10 a booth. To reserve: 618-234-5941.
▪ Rummage sale — 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 8705 Bunkum Road, Caseyville.
▪ St. Louis Antique Festival — 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Belle Clair Fairgrounds Park, 200 S. Belt East, Belleville. 90 dealers from 32 states. Admission $6. 608-346-3797.
▪ St. Luke September 2017 Noon Luncheon and Card Party — Noon, Tuesday. St. Luke’s Parish Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. No reservation required. Cost $7. Features cards, bingo or game of your choice. Menu: pulled pork, chips, coleslaw, cake. Please bring canned items for Community Interfaith Food Pantry. Sponsored by St. Luke Perpetual Help Sodality.
▪ Swansea Farmer’s Market — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31. Rural King parking lot, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Senior coupons are in. Locally grown crops, fruits, vegetables and crafts.
▪ 83rd Annual ‘Schlambach Fest’ — 3 p.m. Sunday, St. Libory. Music starts at 3 p.m. with The Venedy Band playing from 5-7 p.m. Turnpike Cruiser will perform from 8-11 p.m. Car show from 3-5 p.m. Chicken dinners at 4 p.m.; washer tournament at 4 p.m. Quilt bingo at 6:30 p.m.
▪ Immaculate Conception Labor Day Picnic — 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday. Immaculate Conception School, 321 S. Metter, Columbia. Fried chicken dinners with homemade pie, hand-stitched quilt/cash bingo, attendance prizes, games, used book sale, crafts, plants, live music and dancing. Chicken dinners are $12. Fellowship for all. 618-281-5105 or www.icc-columbia-il.us.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
▪ BBQ Thursday — 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31. Turkey Hill Grange, 1375 E. State Route 15, Belleville. Takeout or eat in pork steak or pulled pork sandwich dinner with sides. Brats and homemade desserts.
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Edwardsville Masonic Lodge Breakfast — 7-11 a.m. Saturday. Edwardsville Masonic Lodge, 90 Kriege Farm Road, Glen Carbon. Eat in or carry out. Adults $7. Children $3. 618-656-7137.
▪ Evening in Athens — 4-8 p.m. Saturday. Sts. Constantine and Helen, 405 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Greek food, homemade pastries. Carry outs available. 618-277-0330.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
▪ Quail Club Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp, wings, burgers, sides and desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Walton’s Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
Worth the Drive
▪ Summer Music Series — 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31. Library Park, 400 N. State St., Litchfield. Featuring: “Leah Osborne.” www.visitlitchfield.com.