The strategic affiliation between Memorial Hospital Group and St. Louis’ BJC HealthCare is now official.
“What it means for patients and the community is two very strong organizations will be able to enhance and expand services we provide in our community,” said Mark Turner, CEO of Memorial Hospital Group.
The affiliation, which took effect Jan. 1, establishes a new nonprofit jointly owned parent organization, Memorial Regional Health Services. The organization will oversee hospitals in Belleville and Shiloh, as well as outpatient facilities and the community foundation.
Turner, who serves as the organization’s president, said this year will be a planning year with a lot of behind-the-scenes work as both organizations determine how to most effectively use their resources.
Never miss a local story.
“It certainty is a great opportunity,” Turner said of his new role as CEO of the joint organization. “I’m thankful and honored to be in this position.”
The Illinois Health Facilities and Services Review Board approved a change of ownership for Memorial Hospital in Belleville and Memorial Hospital-East in Shiloh at its Aug. 25 meeting.
A board of directors appointed by both systems will oversee Memorial Hospital Belleville, Memorial Hospital East, Memorial Foundation and other holdings. Members of the Memorial Regional Health Services board include:
▪ Tom Barnett, senior vice president of operations and administration, Jim’s Formal Wear
▪ Myron Hanna, attorney, Hanna and Volmert, LLC
▪ Roland Thouvenot, president, Thouvenot, Wade and Moerchen Engineering
▪ Randy Ganim, retired CPA
▪ Keith Cook, community bank president, Regions Bank
▪ Chuck Mueller, retired CEO/Board Chairman of Ameren
▪ Don Ross, vice chairman, Enterprise Holdings
▪ Bob Plummer, president, R.P. Lumber
▪ Steven Lipstein, president and CEO, BJC HealthCare
▪ Richard Liekweg, executive vice president, BJC HealthCare
Turner said the board, which has equal representation from Memorial Group and BJC, will meet on a quarterly basis or more as needed. The location for the board meetings has not yet been determined, he said.
Construction is complete at Memorial Hospital East, a 94-bed hospital at 1404 Cross St. in Shiloh. The staff is currently preparing the facility for opening to patients on April 12.
Turner said a BJC Healthcare logo will be added to Memorial Hospital signage “where appropriate.”
“I believe it is a wonderful thing for our community and organizations, and we are excited to move forward,” he said.