A 28-year-old Albers man who died last week had the flu and had streptococcus pneumoniae, and he did not have a spleen, which helps the body fight infection.
Kyle Norrenberns died Thursday, Jan. 14, at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Breese. His father said last week that doctors had told him the death was a result of the flu.
Clinton County Coroner Phillip Moss said tests show that Norrenberns died not from the flu, but from septic shock, caused by a bacterial infection.
Moss said hospital staff swabbed Norrenberns’ nose for flu testing, and the results were positive for influenza B. Moss said Norrenberns was sent home with instructions to take Tamiflu, along with Tylenol for fever.
Never miss a local story.
Several hours later on Jan. 14, Norrenberns’ parents brought him back to the hospital.
“When he arrived there, he was in a condition called septic shock,” Moss said.
Septic shock, a response to infection, can cause organ failure and death. People with compromised immune systems are more susceptible to septic shock.
Moss said Norrenberns had his spleen removed about 10 years ago.
Norrenberns’ death is considered to be due to natural causes, the coroner said.
Norrenberns was a manager for a lawn-service company and was active in amateur sports. He was a past winner of Clinton County’s Mr. Irresistible pageant.